Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on February 24, 2007, 12:32:59 AM
I don't think thats the point.
Then the point would be...
Please elaborate.
Thank You.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

RaceDriver205

Dunno, coz u can or something

jonathan perez

im so glad im not building FX for anyone anymore...

cause im building this ASAP!!!!!!!!
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

kahel

I was one of the buyers of the v1 board, but I've not had time to start looking at the build yet. I'm just a hobby builder with a hectic day job (and a great wife), so  it can sometimes go weeks between the time slots I can dedicate to building. But at least I have all the parts, and I plan to post a report here soon as I get it done, which should be... sometime this spring.

I thought I'd just offer some notes on the control pedal to the group, since I haven't seen this mentioned yet. I have both the original A/DA Flanger and Final Phase, and both are really ony half a pedal without the control pedal. You really do get the full sweep range under your foot, and playing one of these is one of the most satisfying things I know of.

Both the original and the rerelease Control Pedal A are very solid metal constructs with a 50k wah type pot (of Mexican origin) wired as a voltage divider. So any wah shell and pot can be used here. If anyone needs an actual wiring diagram I can see if I get time to draw it during the weekend.

My big thanks to Moos for this project, you are the man, man. The board is wonderful, I'm really looking forward to working on it! May I suggest that you/we try the Final Phase next...? It really is the thickest, richest, most wonderful phaser I know of. With the control pedal, it just takes off into space. Plus, the screamerish drive part of it is pure novelty and really ripe for mods!

K

Meanderthal

Whoa! Thanks kahel, I just happen to have a couple wah shells(Dunlop "highgain"  [yeah, right, they're passive] volume pedals, don't use em).
I am not responsible for your imagination.

StephenGiles

Briefly connecting the inverting input of IC4b in the LFO to Vb or ground may provide a useful function by forcing the sweep to restart from it's low or high end. Just touching with a wire produced this but with a noise. It maybe that if a cmos switch is used it would provide a silent transition - that's a nice jargonny phrase!! From the idea I had recently, perhaps a control signal for such a switch could be extracted from the noise reduction circuitry. This is homework for someone!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Meanderthal

Great idea, especially for slow sweeps!

Do ya think maybe make-before-break could kill the pop/thump/whatever? I know, I know, I'm looking for a shortcut, just a thought...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

StephenGiles

Thump was the word I was looking for.

StephenGiles

I mght see if I can blow a 4016 on for a switch this evening.

StephenGiles

oldschoolanalog

Cool! Thats one to bookmark. Thanks!
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

analog kid

thanks for reminding folks of the control pedal , my build from last year Rev 3 A/DA flanger I did my enclosure as near to the original as possible and the control a jack was unused until recently when I wired up the manual control pot in an enclosure to test the jack. Unfortunately I just didn't have a shell to devote to the a/da sweep permanently yet, but you're right it is a whole other dimension being able to have that beautiful, wide 23+ sec sweep under foot ; )
QuoteThe board is wonderful, I'm really looking forward to working on it! May I suggest that you/we try the Final Phase next...?
YES YES, no doubt man. I didn't need the a/da thing to be done to build it but man I have been over that Final Phase schematic planning out a build strategy and I just get discouraged, don't know why? but I'm glad to hear one other person second my desire to pull off a build of that one.
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

Processaurus

Quote from: StephenGiles on March 04, 2007, 02:08:34 PM
Briefly connecting the inverting input of IC4b in the LFO to Vb or ground may provide a useful function by forcing the sweep to restart from it's low or high end. Just touching with a wire produced this but with a noise. It maybe that if a cmos switch is used it would provide a silent transition - that's a nice jargonny phrase!! From the idea I had recently, perhaps a control signal for such a switch could be extracted from the noise reduction circuitry. This is homework for someone!!

Very nice!  I'll try and do this when I get around to stuffing mine sometime next year.  There's this Blur song where Graham Coxon's part just flanges the last couple notes of the measure, and its always the same direction, I read a thing on how he does it, and he just said it took him a long time to get good at setting the speed right and plus you have to start the song at the right time!  So sad.

oldschoolanalog

My next build? 2 words.
Storm Tide. ;D

Mark Hammer

Before you do that, take a peek at this little nugget from Japan from Colin's Experimentalist Anonymous site: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/OOP%20Japanese%20Electronics%20Book/multi-flanger.gif

Here is the PCB layout: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/OOP%20Japanese%20Electronics%20Book/multi-flanger-pcb.gif

This thing has multiple sources of modulation, including envelope, LFO waveshaping, and what I think might be "bounce", and looks very interesting.  The schematic calls for an MN3009, but you could also use a 3007 if you pump up the clock frequency a bit.  Best of all, the board layout is already provided.

oldschoolanalog

Cool Mark! Interesting indeed. I don't want to digress from the A/DA theme of this thread, so I'll have a good look/see, then post "stupid human questions" in a new thread. Thanks!

StephenGiles

Any developments on this? Suggestions on where to inject a pulse in the LFO in order to reset it would be most welcome. There is practically nothing on the net about this  - or is it going to be the inverting input of the integrator IC?

markusw

Quote from: StephenGiles on March 09, 2007, 09:28:09 AM

Any developments on this? Suggestions on where to inject a pulse in the LFO in order to reset it would be most welcome. There is practically nothing on the net about this  - or is it going to be the inverting input of the integrator IC?

Hey Stephen,

you may want to have a look at the Wobulator schem. One LFO has a trigger for connecting an external pedal.
It requires a couple of parts though.

Regards,

Markus

StephenGiles

Thanks Markus, I'd forgotten about that one.