A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

Can anyone who has performed the Vibrato mod explain the results?  If it is anything like the Vibrato mode on the Neovibe I really have no use for it but, on th off chance that it dazzles, I would be interested.

Thanks,

Jason
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

powerplayj

My completed build....

Added a switch for LFO caps but opted not to use it in leiu of a single 10uf cap.  Kept the switch for a future mod.  Used an RGB LED hoping that the various current draws want surge the voltage (I tapped off the addition 15V pads instead of the DC 18V input).

Oh yeah, it's extremely quiet unlike the complaints for many flangers.  This is by far my favorite build!!!
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia

John Lyons

Dig that hammertone box. Is that spray paint or powdercoat?
I still have to get  some free time to make mine up. Too many projects!!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

powerplayj

Quote from: Basicaudio on April 26, 2007, 12:18:48 AM
Dig that hammertone box. Is that spray paint or powdercoat?
I still have to get  some free time to make mine up. Too many projects!!

John

Thanks!  It's just "Hammered" spray paint.  To me it's the easiest stuff to work with and surprisingly it takes decals very well as it does not show imperfections as much as the untextured paints.

John Lyons

I have had good experiences with the hammerd spraypaints as well. They do work well with decals because of the texture.
The overall apearance has a lot more depth because of the 3-D surface.
John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

TR in NC

Here's a few pic's of my build.  Almost completed solder side, ready to close and "low tech" graphics (My 9 year old daughter did all the graphics).  Enjoy! :icon_biggrin:

Ted

TR in NC

Let me try that again...

Here's a few pic's of my build.  Almost completed solder side, ready to close and "low tech" graphics (My 9 year old daughter did all the graphics).  Enjoy!

Ted

Meanderthal

Man, I gotta say, as someone had promised, this thing takes solder like a dream! Got most of it populated now...  still need to order a few parts for it... again... especially that LM7815. The L78L15 smallbear has ain't it... found out the hard way. My fault for not doing my homework. ::)
I am not responsible for your imagination.

oldschoolanalog

Hey, TR. I love your kids graphics ;D! I have a 7 yr. young daughter who has asked me if she could "decorate" some of my fx. So, she gets the "honors" on my next build. She has also expressed the desire to learn how to solder (Daddy, can I solder? Puleeese! It looks like fun!) :icon_eek:. Uh, not quite yet I had to tell her. In a couple of years maybe... I think it's great to get the little ones involved. BTW, nice build/report.
All the best!

osa
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

TR in NC

Thank's osa,

This build has been a lot of fun.  My daughter really enjoyed being part of my project, she say's it works better because of her artwork :icon_rolleyes: I've been involved in electronics now for over 20 years...geesh I feel old :icon_neutral:, but never got in involved in building effects until now (thanks to my buddy powerplayj), been mainly building amateur radio projects over the years.  Now, I'm already looking for my next effect project...does this mean I'm hooked?

Ted

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: TR in NC on April 29, 2007, 09:00:37 AM
...does this mean I'm hooked?

Ted
You've been hooked for 20+ years!
Admit it;"I am a stompboxaholic".
Feels good, don't it?
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

powerplayj

Where are you guys running your flanger in your chain when using some gain?  I like it best as the last effect before my amp although my main source of gain is my Crunch Box which I run before the A/DA.  Seems like the effect is more pronounced here, however, I only seem to be able to get those EVH tones when running the Crunch Box after the flanger (the flange is less apparent when doing this).  I can foresee building another multi- loop box for this reason alone!

analog kid

Thead's still Alive!?  WOW I am starting to wonder how many of these a/da boards got out there.  I guess It is nice to finally see some of them getting built and people able to enjoy this wonderful flanger w/o tracking one down Also it's nice to hear feedback on more simple things that I never let myself get to play around with such as LFO range caps! I think I stuck a 47uf and 22uf tant in mine.
   I've actually been struggling with whether or not to replace the 'heart' of  my A/DA clone's  that I built last year from my own board , with this fabbed pcb ! it's a hard decision. (no doubt the fab'd pcb'll stand up to time better and curiousity that the thoughtful layout itself ie; ground planes etc.. might lead to greater fidelity)  However The satisfaction is so much higher knowing you tackled as complex a circuit as this with your own board and researched/experimented with all the various Rev's , And Beyond,  for the "right" values in certain sections of the circuit (which I assure you all , there are a couple of parts values that you need to mess with for optimum performance  amd best  interaction with the SAD. 
  No doubt M.I. made the changes neccessary for the circuit to WORK with an SAD ,  he prob didn't want to bother with less crucial details...for instance the clipping/headroom of the SAD compared to  the MN3010 which the Rev's were all working from were designed for.
  Don't get me wrong, you have more than an excellent flanger as is , ignoring any other small revisional details. Just thinking of some of the stuff I went though when I built my a/da back then.     HINT: the diode comp./limiting configuration of Rev 4 alone WON"T make the difference for the clipping point of the SAD , although it IS better suited to the sad than the Rev 3 config. (used in this pcb layout)
And PS: PowerplayJ  you pretty much have the same exact box layout and  control fonts as mine! :o except my bypass is dead center (like original)  even the "rustoleum" silver Hammertone! Looks like the knobs I chose for mine have become a popular choice too ; ) though I chose them for orig a/da look.  I wish I'd have posted a pic last year now.
    sorry so long a post , but also btw if you're bothering to build this beast, please align the lfo and manual sweep.  ; ) that's what that "level"  trimmer is there for!  You might not think it makes much difference but It DOES escpecially if you are using a Manual pedal Sweep alot like me and then kicking back in LFO sweep.
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

moosapotamus

Stock build except for the output volume knob on the side of the 1590DD box...

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Ry

I'm half way through my Irwin/Giles version.  There are a few things that I need to go back and jumper (not called out in the BOM, unless I'm missing something).  I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

RaceDriver205

Wow, the effort we all go to for a single guitar effect  ;D

sfr

FWIW; The other day, I tapped the LFO from my Tremulus Lune (right next to the A/DA in the multi-FX box) and ran it into the control input on the A/DA.  A little hotter than the 5V the manual says it expects for a control signal, but it works really well.   The Trem Lune has 3 LFOs in it, (main, one to add to the main, and one to modulate the speed on the main one) but I accidently tapped the CV before the additional LFO comes into play, so I only get the main LFO with speed modulation.  Mixed in with the A/DA LFO, cool sounds are available.  It takes a lot of tweaking to get "right" though.  I think I'd want to build a different LFO box with the same amount of options but more limited settings, to avoid all the settings with crazy whooping from a too-fast sweep.

In general, the LFO settings that sound really cool on a trem are not the same ones that sound really cool on a flanger. 

Slowish square waves with varying speed can sound very cool - it makes me want to try out some of the stair-stepped LFOs in that Geofex article with the digital LFOs.
sent from my orbital space station.

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Dan N

Nice ones, guys! Here's mine:

That's an old train transformer box. So far it's the most elaborate and sick fuzz ever. I have not had the heart to troubleshoot yet.

oldschoolanalog