A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

anyone going to build the BYOC flanger coming out this Fall? 
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

StephenGiles

No, but welcome back this thread.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Giglawyer

ANybody post any soundclips of this yet?
Check out my builds - http://www.giglawyer.com

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

oldschoolanalog

Anybody do any mods other than a vibrato switch?
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

markusw

oldschoolanalog

Thanks Markus! I forgot that was  there. :icon_redface:
Nice little layout!
Any tales of TZF w/fixed or swept delay?
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

markusw

QuoteAny tales of TZF w/fixed or swept delay?

Not really. I think it's already very close to TZF (I run the clock up to about 2,5MHz). So I'm pretty happy with it as it is.
Also,  I'm distracted by other projects  ;)
Juergen Haible's Tau Pipe PCB is waiting for getting populated. Also I'm still planning a Bissell-Follower/Moog LP combination.

Anyway, I think I will porbably add a jack to the ADA for insertion of an external second delay.  I'm a bit scared of messing up the thing with heterodyning issues. It's so estoninglishly quiet. On the other hand I'd love to hear a TZF ADA  :)
BTW, has anyone tried to feed an envelope follower into the ADA's CV input?
You see..I'm easily distracted  :icon_lol:

oldschoolanalog

2.5 MHz?  :icon_eek:
+1 on the jacks for an external feed. That's been on the to-do list for a while. Added flexability. That way it doesn't have to be a delay...
No rules; just fun!
osa

markusw

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on July 29, 2007, 07:35:47 PM
2.5 MHz?  :icon_eek:
+1 on the jacks for an external feed. That's been on the to-do list for a while. Added flexability. That way it doesn't have to be a delay...
No rules; just fun!
osa

Definitely, just fun!  :)

I tried to run the clock even higher (IIRC up to 4-5 MHz).  :icon_evil:  ;)
Problem was, it stayed too long at the high point of the sweep....

Dave_B

Quote from: markusw on July 29, 2007, 04:39:29 PMJuergen Haible's Tau Pipe PCB is waiting for getting populated.
It appears quite a few of us got in on that one.   ;D
Help build our Wiki!

Pierre

hi !!!
i just finished this project. I made the PCB my self for rev. 02 ...it was not very easy, i had to do some Photoshop to make it right and after 3 attempts i made it !
I don't have an oscilloscope and i don't even know how to use one  :icon_redface:, so i had to tune the trims by ear. To my surprise, it works and actually it sounds very close to the sound samples i heard...(I'm proud of me  :icon_mrgreen:). I just noticed one thing that's bothering me : as i did not know the correct orientation of cap 6 (2.2µF) i socket it and i realized that it sound exactly the same in both senses, even more, sound doesn't change at all without this cap...is it me..? did i do something wrong (as usual..? or this cap is not that important...?
Anyway, I'm glad it works, jet flanging and everything !!!
I want to thank all of you for this tread, i learned a lot from it !!!

Pierre

moosapotamus

Congrats, Pierre!

If I recall some of the previous discussions in this thread, that diode bridge that C6 pulls down to ground acts as a limiter that tames high regeneration settings. (Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.) I would also guess that if you remove C6, you would eliminate any limiting effect. So, maybe try to see if you hear any difference with/without C6 when you have the regen set very high. I think I would definately only try it with the negative leg of C6 going to ground, but you never know... I'd be curious to know what you find.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Pierre

well, i spend some time adjusting the trim pots, not easy by ear  :icon_confused:...I think now I'm getting the better from this flanger...Anyway  trim pot 6 (null trim) doesn't seem to do anything...
I change cap 6 for a N.P. 2.2µF...but still don't ear any difference, with or without this cap...or maybe my ears are burned !
Thankx again ! :icon_wink:

oldschoolanalog

Your ears are not burned. The limiter won't come into play until the signal coming off the input op amp exceeds ~2.8 V peak to peak. That's the threshold where the diode array conducts. I pre set TP6 dead center, and it worked great from the start. Haven't touched it since. If you checked the output of TP6 on a scope, I would guess you would see a difference. But if it sounds OK, don't sweat it.
Happy adjusting/tuning!
osa

CraigR

Kind of off topic from the original thread, but I am looking at the Moosapotamus's BOM for the ADA Flanger, trying to figure out what I have in stock vs what I have to order from SBE. 

Any known problems with subbing;

- a TLO72, 4558 or 4559 for the LM1458 (IC4)?
- a TLO74 for the LM324's (IC's 1,2, & 3)?
- any N-Channel Jfet with the same pinout for Q1 (currently a 2N4393)?

All these seem to make sense. Any known problems based on your experience?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Craig
Pedals built to date - BSIABII (x2), AMZ MosFet Booster, AMZ MiniBooster, Rangemaster PNP (negative ground), BMP, Ross Compressor, Liquid Drive (Dist+ variant)

Pierre

...I'm putting together a second A/DA clone...the first sounds so good that I'm afraid to do any mod...
Now i would like to have a control pedal...does anybody knows how to do one...?

QuoteKind of off topic from the original thread, but I am looking at the Moosapotamus's BOM for the ADA Flanger, trying to figure out what I have in stock vs what I have to order from SBE.

Any known problems with subbing;

- a TLO72, 4558 or 4559 for the LM1458 (IC4)?
- a TLO74 for the LM324's (IC's 1,2, & 3)?
- any N-Channel Jfet with the same pinout for Q1 (currently a 2N4393)?

All these seem to make sense. Any known problems based on your experience?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Craig

I used TL074 for IC's 1-2-3 and a J201 for Q1, i think it has the same pinout...
I'm not sure for IC 4, i used a MC1458...

markusw

...I'm putting together a second A/DA clone...the first sounds so good that I'm afraid to do any mod...
Now i would like to have a control pedal...does anybody knows how to do one...?

There is a jack for adding an expression pedal (JK3 in Charlie's schem). You don't need to mod the circuit.  :)

Pierre

actually what I meant was that I wanted to build the expression pedal, but I dint know to do it...
Thank you  ;)

markusw

Quote from: Pierre on September 02, 2007, 04:58:27 AM
actually what I meant was that I wanted to build the expression pedal, but I dint know to do it...
Thank you  ;)

I think it's cheaper to buy an expression pedal (e.g. a Bespeco).