A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

The WEM Infinite Flanger did it with 2 variable delay lines perhaps 20 years ago using MN 3004.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

The WEM Infinite Flanger did it with 2 variable delay lines perhaps 20 years ago using MN 3004 - each clock was modulated by LFOs working in opposite directions, or whatever the technical jargon is. Incidentally, I was listening to a Kasey Chambers gig in Chicago on my way to work this morning - good voice and good band too.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

markusw

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 11, 2006, 08:05:58 AM
The WEM Infinite Flanger did it with 2 variable delay lines perhaps 20 years ago using MN 3004 - each clock was modulated by LFOs working in opposite directions, or whatever the technical jargon is. Incidentally, I was listening to a Kasey Chambers gig in Chicago on my way to work this morning - good voice and good band too.

Thanks for the information!  :)
Do you know whether it were two entirely separated LFOs or one LFO that was shifted for e.g. 90° or 180° ?
Hm, you don't happen to have a schem?  ;) Sorry, had to ask  :icon_redface:

Dave_B

Quote from: markusw on October 11, 2006, 08:26:42 AM
Do you know whether it were two entirely separated LFOs or one LFO that was shifted for e.g. 90° or 180° ?
Is it this one?  Mr. Hammer posted a link to an Infinite Flanger a couple of years ago.  Remarkably, the link still works, but I don't know if it's the same device.

Edit:  Probably not, since this one uses TDA1097's.
Help build our Wiki!

StephenGiles

No, that was from Home & Studio Recording magazine, which was an excellent publication, eventually swallowed up by Sound on Sound which I do not like at all. I may have the circuit somewhere.

markusw

QuoteI may have the circuit somewhere.

:)

Mark Hammer

markusw

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 11, 2006, 12:18:51 PM
Here's the cleaned up version of that circuit: http://hammer.ampage.org/files/INFLSCHM.gif

I think it's the same version that Dave_B posted. It has one fixed delay. Nevertheless, thanks!!

Mark Hammer

You're welcome.  This thread got pretty long pretty fast and I stopped keeping track of it a ways back, so I may have posted something that had already been posted.

moosapotamus

Quote from: markusw on October 11, 2006, 01:54:09 AMAnother Q: in the Hyper Flanger there are "LFO out" and "Delay CV in" jacks. By feeding the LFO out into an expression pedal and then back into "Delay CV in" the amount of vibrato can be adjusted with the pedal. The expression pedal acts as an external LFO depth control. What would be the difference to a dry/wet pedal for vibrato?

You could keep the depth turned up, even to the point of self-oscillation, and continuously fade between wet and dry. I think that would sound pretty different compared to continuously changing the LFO depth.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

markusw

QuoteYou could keep the depth turned up, even to the point of self-oscillation, and continuously fade between wet and dry. I think that would sound pretty different compared to continuously changing the LFO depth.

I had a look at the hyperflanger docs again and it seems that in virato "mode" the dry/wet pot is set to 100% wet.  So it has to sound different. Should read more carefully   :icon_redface:
Anyway, seems like another interesting mod to our list. It's just 3 more pads. ;)
Do you think it would work to have 100k expression pedal wired in parallel to the range pod?

StephenGiles

Tell me, are you trying to build something to gig with or to muck about with at home?

StephenGiles

Quote from: markusw on October 11, 2006, 08:26:42 AM
Quote from: StephenGiles on October 11, 2006, 08:05:58 AM

Sorry, can't find it but from memory it was one LFO and an inverted version.

StephenGiles

puretube

approaching B*ss chorusses now...

markusw

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 11, 2006, 02:33:22 PM
Tell me, are you trying to build something to gig with or to muck about with at home?

Hm, actually both. So at least for me some of the suggested mods are justoptions because otherwise we really had to go for a rack unit  ;)

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 11, 2006, 05:01:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/uncle_boko/modulation.gif

I found this snippet. Perhaps the rest is still on my old laptop.

Thanks a lot! It quite explains it  :)

Rob Strand

> There's a few things I'm not seeing in Rob's corrections to Stephen's schematic.
> Sorry if some of them are kinda dumb... Am I mixed up on any of these?

I wouldn't call them corrections just anomalies and things to check.

> - The digital ground should connect back to the analog ground at some/one point
> I see how this is done on the Rev4 scheme and layout, but isn't it good practice to keep them separated?

If the analog and digital circuits are powered of the same supply then you can't keep them entirely separate both analog and digital circuits need a ground.  Also if the analog and digital circuit interract at any poin then the grounds of the two systems must connect.

What you don't want to do is intermingle analog and digital grounds on the same tracks on the PCB.  You want to keep the tracks separate.

At some point you have to connect them together.  The best place to do this is usually back the low impedance power supply.  That prevents any junk on the digital ground causing voltage fluctuations on the analog grounds.

So the meaning of separate here usually doesn't mean *entirely* separate.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

RaceDriver205

This thing sounds like its getting complicated really fast!
What features have been agreed on?

markusw

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on October 12, 2006, 05:12:52 AM
This thing sounds like its getting complicated really fast!
What features have been agreed on?

Good question  ;)

StephenGiles

How long is a piece of string? How many North Vietnamese does it take to dig a hole? Yes folks it's North Vietnam joke time - don't theirmilitary wear silly hats!!!