A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosapotamus

Thanks, Stephen!

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on November 01, 2006, 02:13:34 PM
In a VERY oversimplified way of explaining; doubling the value of the cap in the integrator section of the LFO will halve the speed.

So, in Stephen's scheme, that would be the 33uF in the IC4b feedback, yes? I can just add pads to put another cap in parallel with it. Folks can install sockets and try different values to see (hear) what they like best.

Thanks!
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

woolley

Hi,
Nice circuit work. You might need to make the pads a little fatter though, otherwise drill bits might eat them up.
$0.02

puretube

oldschoolanalog

Yes. 2 pads seems like the way to go. After "auditioning" cap values, wiring up a switch would be EZ as can be.
All the Best!

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

ooops, I thought it were a different circuit - hadn`t compared them...
(didn`t know it was yours, even)

:icon_redface:

moosapotamus

Quote from: woolley on November 02, 2006, 06:03:33 AM
Nice circuit work. You might need to make the pads a little fatter though, otherwise drill bits might eat them up.

I'm planning to have these fabbed... no drilling.

Quote from: StephenGiles on November 02, 2006, 08:25:20 AM
Quote from: puretube on November 02, 2006, 06:52:33 AM
more bounce to the ounce...

It was a few years ago that I drew that Ton!!

Thanks for digging that up, Ton. Nice drawing too, Stephen. At least a SAD1024 is easier to find than a SSM2040 (and more affordable, too!).

Does anyone know where you can hear a good example of what 'bounce' sounds like? The descriptions sound interesting, but I'm not sure I've ever heard what it actually sounds like.

Thanks!
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

markusw

Hey Charlie,

I will do some Spice simulations on the various LFO versions this evening. Should give us a clue of the frequency ranges they cover.

Again, thanks for all your work!!

Markus

markusw

I did the LTSpice simulations of the rev3, rev4 and Stephen's MI LFO.
Here are the three schems in comparison:

The calculated frequency ranges of the three LFOs are pretty similar.

Rev3: 40 mHz to 18 Hz
Rev4: 35 mHz to 13.7 Hz
Stephen: 45 mHz to 9.5 Hz

Specs of the original: 30 mHz to 10 Hz

(V(rev32) is for rev3 with double integrating capacity)

As predicted by oldschoolanalog doubling the integrating cap halves the speed (just checked for ver 3: 20 mHz). Thanks for the formula btw! :)
Interestingly, the slow sweep frequencies are all exactly at multiples of 5 mHz. I suppose this somehow correlates with the 200s ( Took ages neverthless ;) ) I used for simulation time and the method of calculating the FFT. Maybe someone can shed some light on it ? :)

Markus

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

goodness: what did you feed in there?  :icon_smile:

markusw

markusw

Quote from: StephenGiles on November 02, 2006, 04:43:34 PM
These are samples from my TDA1022 Standard Electric Mistress  with bounce, which give an idea of what it can sound like.

Fortunately, the ADA Flanger has CV in :)

moosapotamus

Wow! CoOoOol sounds, Stephen! Thanks for posting those clips. I think I'll be after that one. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

StephenGiles

I'm not sure that the placing of the bounce control is understood. I'll post a drawing I did speculating what an ADA circuit with bounce might look like.

StephenGiles

markusw

RedHouse

Not to be a buzz-kill, but the bounce thing (while interesting) doesn't sound like something very useful (musical) to me.  :icon_neutral:

StephenGiles

Quote from: markusw on November 04, 2006, 08:06:20 AM
Quote from: StephenGiles on November 03, 2006, 05:04:20 PM
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/ADAflanger_bounce.zip

Thanks a lot Stephen! Now it's clear :)
One Q: did you ever try envelope + bounce on Flangers??

Markus

No!
Quote from: RedHouse on November 04, 2006, 09:05:01 AM
Not to be a buzz-kill, but the bounce thing (while interesting) doesn't sound like something very useful (musical) to me.  :icon_neutral:

Well, it's useful to my ears in just one setting where the sweep goes up to the top, starts to go down and then sweeps up and down again. The sounds on the samples are extreme I would agree and useless in a band situation, but aren't 90% of effects???

puretube

... aren`t bands useless when playing with effects?   :icon_razz: