A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

Thanks for that, yes omitting the gate is the reason for jumping R34 - I'm glad someone is awake!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

markusw

Quote from: moosapotamus on November 20, 2006, 11:24:25 PM

Group Buy Info for ADA Flanger PCB's

Thanks!
~ Charlie

Fantastic!!  :icon_biggrin: :icon_eek:

Some Qs: would it A) make sense and B) be easy to do in ExpressPCB to add a ground plane?
BTW, in the powerpoint layout there are 2 (didn't see more at a first glance) gnd traces that are not terminated. Maybe they are for isolating the adjacent traces. Any ideas? 

Would it be possible to add a second C24 cap  (tail to tail to the existing one) like in the original vers 3.? This might make it a bit more flexible when tuning the LFO.

I would be happy to beta test the PCB (don't know if it would be better to post this in the other thread?)  :)

QuoteThis comes both from simulation and what's in Analog Kid's unit right now, R38 30k, R34 10k and R35 1M.
In the sim, this was about the only way to get unity between both inverting and noninverting configs when the noise gate is in place (R35 1M, that is). Seems to be that way in the real world too.
1M for R35 makes the gate work good too. The problem with Analog Kid's unit squeeling when R38 was 30k seems to be gone by now, must have been something else.
If one is omitting the gate, then jumping R34 and making R38 10k is the way to go  (not having R35 or the jfet in there at all).

/Pelle

Thanks!! Makes sense now  :)

analogkid,

did you see the note in the power point layout regarding the wiring of jumper 13?

Markus

moosapotamus

:icon_mrgreen:
You guys ROCK! Thanks for the props!

Quote from: markusw on November 21, 2006, 01:21:28 PM
Some Qs: would it A) make sense and B) be easy to do in ExpressPCB to add a ground plane?
BTW, in the powerpoint layout there are 2 (didn't see more at a first glance) gnd traces that are not terminated. Maybe they are for isolating the adjacent traces. Any ideas?

I do not fully understand every aspect of designing circuit layouts that could cause noise issues. It would be easy to add a ground plane, but I'm not convinced that it's really necessary. For starters, because of all the closely spaced traces, it wouldn't end up filling very much space, except maybe around the power supply circuitry. I could also be mistaken, but the two non-terminated ground traces don't appear to me to be be isolating anything of any consequence. Plus, Stephen's reports of how his perfboard build is very quiet tell me that there is a low risk of having interference issues with this circuit. But, I am certainly not an expert on the subject. If anyone can explain where and why a gound plane would be beneficial, I am all ears.

Would it be possible to add a second C24 cap  (tail to tail to the existing one) like in the original vers 3.? This might make it a bit more flexible when tuning the LFO.

Well, there are already two C24 caps set up for parallel switching. But, I can add another pair of pads that would allow for the two caps to be either in parallel or in series.

I would be happy to beta test the PCB (don't know if it would be better to post this in the other thread?)  :)

That's cool, Markus. Thanks. I think everyone who gets in on this first order could probably be considered a "beta tester." ;)

Quote from: Gripp on November 21, 2006, 10:44:20 AM
If one is omitting the gate, then jumping R34 and making R38 10k is the way to go  (not having R35 or the jfet in there at all).

Thanks, Pelle! That's a really good note for folks who don't want the gate.

did you see the note in the power point layout regarding the wiring of jumper 13?

You mean, even though it's shown connecting C16 to the node at the output of IC1b, it's really supposed to connect C16 to the node at the output of IC1a?
... kinda curious.

Thanks, y'all!
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

StephenGiles

- "Plus, Stephen's reports of how his perfboard build is very quiet tell me that there is a low risk of having interference issues with this circuit."

In a band situation, the problem simply doesn't arise. However, in your bedroom, of course you can hear noise, .........but it's good noise........it's SAD 1024 noise :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

moosapotamus

Cool, Stephen. Thanks for all your help with this. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

Dave_B

I really appreciate that my misguided post (which happened to start this thread) will result in a plated-through board for the effect in question.   ;D
Help build our Wiki!

moosapotamus

Thanks for kicking it off, Dave. Did you get your initial question answered, btw. ;)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

Dave_B

Yes, long ago.  Thanks, Charlie.   :)  And let me join in with everyone else in thanking you for the effort on the A/DA board!  Are you considering publishing the artwork by itself at some point?
Help build our Wiki!

moosapotamus

Not sure exactly what you mean by "publishing." But, I am of course posting/sharing the images.

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

RaceDriver205

Does anyone have any sound samples of this new contraption?

Dave_B

Quote from: moosapotamus on November 24, 2006, 06:35:10 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean by "publishing." But, I am of course posting/sharing the images.
Sorry, I've been brainwashed by my employer.  At my job ANYTHING that gets sent out to a group of people (memos, powerpoints, etc) is "published."  I guess it makes the memos sound more important, even if they're only cracking down on dress code violations.   :) 
Help build our Wiki!

jmasciswannabe

....the staircase had one too many steps

RaceDriver205

Quoteracedriver....check this out
No clips on that page im afraid

StephenGiles

alfafalfa

I heard the clip and it sounds okay but can it do flanging like you do with two recorders ?
Here is a small clip:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/685af6ce-a592-4bf4-9251-fa3ea8e5e2e7

Alf

RaceDriver205

If anyone has built one, how about a clip of distortion into the Tru-Zero version?

StephenGiles

quote author=alfafalfa link=topic=49929.msg389863#msg389863 date=1164456100]
I heard the clip and it sounds okay but can it do flanging like you do with two recorders ?
Here is a small clip:

Alf
[/quote]
Quote from: alfafalfa on November 25, 2006, 07:01:40 AM
Here is a small clip:

Alf

I have never played a complete mix through the ADA flanger, perhaps I'll try it later. But it was not designed to do that anyway!

puretube

Quote from: alfafalfa on November 25, 2006, 07:01:40 AM
Alf

reply#1 has the answer...  :icon_wink:

StephenGiles

Quite right Ton. I just tried it quickly before being dragged out to walk the dog in appalling weather! The sweep is very wide indeed, but just doesn't go over the top. Not easy to listen to with stereo headphones plugged into the mono output socket!! Is TZF really that important? I don't think so, but you could always experiment with a 7th order all pass filter in the dry signal path  :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes: