A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMF Effects

POSSIBLE STUPID QUESTION WARNING!

The population of the PCB is going well. I have a question though. C11, C12, C21 and C32 are listed as (and I'm assuming) 1uF caps. 1uF caps are rather large and I noticed that C11 and C12 have "+" markings on one side. Are C11/12 1uF tantalums? What about C21/32? It just seems that normal 1uF poly caps are too big for the board. Thanks for the help.

stobiepole

Well, I went for tants for C11/C12 and metal film boxes for C21/C32. The boxes were a little big but no real problem. Hope that helps.

Chris

RedHouse

Is there going to be a 2nd round of PCB's made anytime?
(I wasn't able to get in on the initial offering)

moosapotamus

8) 8) 8) I wish I had time to get started on mine!

BMF - Yeah, I was planning to use tantalums for those.

Red - The first run was 20 PCB's. I'll do a second run if the quantity hits at least the same number.

Thanks!
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

BMF Effects

Quote from: moosapotamus on January 09, 2007, 09:31:18 AM
BMF - Yeah, I was planning to use tantalums for those.

Charlie - 1uF tants for C11/12/21/32 or just C11/12?

With 20 boards out there I'm surprised there aren't more build reports.  ???

KB

Quote from: BMF Effects on January 09, 2007, 11:20:14 AM
With 20 boards out there I'm surprised there aren't more build reports.  ???

I'm still collecting parts for mine...... also only have four months left to finish my doctoral dissertation not much spare time at the moment.  I got the board so I could treat myself when purgatory is over.....

Anybody have a source for the MC3403, (other than Mouser), or can I just sub any other quad opamp?

Kevin.

BMF Effects

Quote from: KB on January 09, 2007, 12:46:00 PM
Anybody have a source for the MC3403, (other than Mouser), or can I just sub any other quad opamp?

Kevin.

The TLE2804 was listed a few pages back as being a good low-noise substitute for the 3403 and there are free samples available from Texas Instruments. I thought I ordered three but they only shipped one. I re-ordered two more last night but haven't received the confirmation email yet so I'm not sure I'll be able to all three. I suspect if TI is suddenly hit with requests for TLE2084 samples they might do away with the free part.

A.S.P.

SCHEMOS FOR NUTTIN` & CHIPS FOR FREE
Analogue Signal Processing

BMF Effects

Quote from: A.S.P. on January 09, 2007, 01:24:49 PM
SCHEMOS FOR NUTTIN` & CHIPS FOR FREE

Schemos for free?! Where?!  :icon_mrgreen:

A.S.P.

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

oldschoolanalog

!!!!!!!STOP ABUSING THE FREE SAMPLES PROCESS!!!!!!!
Try a TL074 first. My A/DA reissue uses all TL07XX op amps (and 1 LM324). It sounds *just fine*.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

A.S.P.

Horace

Quote from: BMF Effects on January 08, 2007, 11:15:07 PM
I have a question though. C11, C12, C21 and C32 are listed as (and I'm assuming) 1uF caps. 1uF caps are rather large and I noticed that C11 and C12 have "+" markings on one side. Are C11/12 1uF tantalums? What about C21/32? It just seems that normal 1uF poly caps are too big for the board. Thanks for the help.

Finally finished mine 2 days ago. This is an awesome flanger !

I just used 1uF 50V polarised electrolytics for C11, C12 and MKT poly caps for C21, C32 (the MKT's aren't an exact fit, but go in easily if the leads are bent to offset the cap body a little). It worked first go but had a squeal when "Enhance" was wound up. I took it into work yesterday and calibrated it as per the calibration guide, it got rid of the squeal and solved a few other very minor things.

For the op amps, I just used all LM324's and a TL072, I don't think it is too critical what op amps you use so long as common sense is used (eg. pin compatibility etc).
It is very easy to lose hours playing around with the settings and finding all the great sounds from this effect.

Steben

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on January 09, 2007, 02:45:40 PM
Try a TL074 first. My A/DA reissue uses all TL07XX op amps (and 1 LM324). It sounds *just fine*.

For some chips there is no harm in some samples. Once you start with a small business I agree, but for own experimenting use it's a bless.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

BMF Effects

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on January 09, 2007, 02:45:40 PM

Since I did not have any substitutes lying around and they only sent me one, I hardly think I qualify for the "Free Sample Abuse 12 Step Program".

:icon_rolleyes:

oldschoolanalog

UTSF; free samples. Read the first post. This is the last I will comment on this topic. "This dead horse been beaten enough times." :-X
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

BMF Effects

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on January 09, 2007, 03:29:07 PM
UTSF; free samples. Read the first post. This is the last I will comment on this topic. "This dead horse been beaten enough times." :-X

H.U.A.

I'll send it back. However, the free cheese samples they gave out at the supermarket last night are staying in my belly!

A.S.P.

aarrgh - you caught me there, OSA: I had to for : "UTSF"

bluesdevil

Good to know folks had their's fire up without debugging!!!  I've been busy finishing other builds, but I think I'm ready to get down to it now. I've got the the TL074's but I'm lacking the 1uf tants, 4007, 15v regulator, 18volt wallwart and a LM324.... guess I still need to make an order with Mouser.
     I'll report back with my results... I may need help with tuning the trimmers. By the way, which trimmers would be useful as panel mounted?
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy