A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesdevil

Thanks for looking it over before I built it!! Okay I fukkked up good. I was quite confused when I got my answer for the question about the "VB" node and thought Stephen meant that I should make all +volts the full +15. I had no clue this was a bi-polar power circuit either and still can't tell how it is. It wouldn't be too hard to convert my layout to seperate the "vb" from the +15v, but to do it bipolar..... I'm not bi-polar curious so I might say to hell with it all and let someone else give it a shot.
       I'm sure I'm way over my head in all of this, but it's a learning experience for me success or not and was really wanting to contribute something.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

bluesdevil

Okay, I seperated the "VB" points from the +15v on my layout. This should now reflect the single voltage version of the schematic correctly?
      Stephen: Where is the "0v" point you mentioned?
   Not giving up yet!!!!
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

moosapotamus

Right on, bluesdevil. 8) I was going to say, you might be closer than you think. So then, your resistor divider (two resistors and a big cap) for getting Vbias is not in your layout? Were you planning to use the open perf area on the flanger board for that?

BTW, for your +15V supply, 0V = ground.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

bluesdevil

Hey Charlie, thanks again for keeping me on track. I was thinking of just tapping the half voltage point somewhere off the main motherboard. Would that be fine? If not, fill me in on the 2 resistor and cap values I should use and I'll add it directly to my layout.

moosapotamus

Yeah, I guess that might work fine. Vbias on the main board is buffered, too (that's a good thing).
Otherwise, here's info on creating a separate Vbias...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_FAQ#POWER_SUPPLY
http://www.geofex.com/circuits/Biasnet.htm

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

StephenGiles

It may be sensible to create a Vb from the buffered power line going to the LFO ICs, to minimise the effect of any "nasties" coming from the damped oscillator in the bounce circuit, travelling to the audio path.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

bluesdevil

Thanks for the info and tips, Charlie and Stephen. I'll get back on it once I have the stock flanger finished and working so I can test it properly.

moosapotamus

HEY! I just realized something...
A number of folks have gotten this built up, but nobody's posted any sound clips. What's up with that?
Come on guys... let's hear it!!  :icon_razz: :icon_cool:

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

RedHouse

Quote from: moosapotamus on January 27, 2007, 05:37:47 PM
HEY! I just realized something...
A number of folks have gotten this built up, but nobody's posted any sound clips. What's up with that?
Come on guys... let's hear it!!  :icon_razz: :icon_cool:

~ Charlie

Yeah baby, lets hear 'em rip!  :icon_razz:

bluesdevil

Yeah, let's hear some 'cause I need some motivation!!! I'm bummed out right now..... I just finished my build and doesn'r even pass signal. Not even the clean signal from pad "A"!! I used a polarized tant for C32, maybe that mucked it up?
      I'm really surprised liike hell it didn't fire up right away.... hard to make bad solder connections with the through hole pads, SHEEEEESH!!!! 

bluesdevil

I fixed it!!! The solder came loose from the input/output jacks AND I needed to twist one of the trims a bit...... WHEEEEEEEEEEEW WEEEEEEEE, I wasn't  looking forward to the debugging. :icon_eek:
       Lesson learned: don't use ultra thin needle tips to solder hardware.
I will experiment with mods once I get it calibrated properly. Markusw has a link a few posts back for software to help with it I'm gonna use, but my ears seem to have done a good job setting it up already. Sorry for stinkin' up this brilliant thread with my posts. :icon_redface:

joelap

Still want to hear a soundclip of some jets taking off...  ;D
- witty sig -

moosapotamus

Way to go, bluesdevil! Congrats on getting yours working! 8)

I still gotta clear some space on my bench and find time to start putting mine together. :P

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

RaceDriver205

My ADA Flanger Sample
Your right, it does sound like a jet plane!

joelap

^ Doh, you had me for a second!   8)  I got excited to actually hear another clip besides the one on moosapotamus
- witty sig -

RaceDriver205

bluesdevil

Okay Joelap, hold on to your hat!!!
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album129/flanger_swoosh

Chain:
Les Paul neck pickup > ROG Whisker Biscuit (distortion) > Flanger clone> Joe Davisson Simple Cab Sim > soundcard

There's a bit more distortion added from using the Simple Cab Sim.... easy to overload input. Also I tweaked all the trimpots by ear so maybe it could still be better?

joelap

Nice!  Would it be too much trouble for a clean sample?  If you've got time.  Just to emphasize the Flanger alone?
- witty sig -

moosapotamus

Holy frigging s#!+, bluesdevil! :icon_eek: Nice clip! :icon_twisted:

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".