Hints on a Stereo Memory Man

Started by killerkev, October 01, 2006, 09:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killerkev

Picked up this '77 stereo memory man that's in need of repair. You can hear the effects but there is some nasty humming going on. This nastiness is also heard when adjusting the pots. Tap the enclosure and you can hear some popping. I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to start. Hoping it's not the MN 3005 IC's... Small bear is asking $25 a piece.

Ry

I'm just shooting in the dark here, but it sounds like it could be a grounding problem.  I would start by checking the connections of the circuit to ground.  A wire may have come loose.  It might be time to change out the power supply filter caps, too.

Ry

billings

Could also be bad electrolytics?  If I'm not mistaken, those will go bad if it's been in disuse for a number of years.  Just replacing all of those should be pretty easy/cheap.

squidsquad

Your trouble jogged an old memory of an old memory man (sorry).  My old one broke once...perhaps similar to your situation...and I fixed it by replacing a BIG electrolytic cap.  I think it was the biggest in the thing...and near the internal transformer...as part of the power supply.  Just a shot in the dark ya know.