Yet another Fuzz Face question

Started by DryRoasted, October 04, 2006, 04:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DryRoasted

Well you wait for ages and then 3 fuzz face posts all come along at once ! 

I decided to have a go at a fuzzface because I've not made one yet and I got loads of Ge trannies sitting around.  I made a basic Fuzz face A-la RG Keen's schematic.  I biased Q1 to 4.5 V but no matter what trannies I used (AC 187 and AC 127) I couldnt get it to go past unity gain :( I rebiased each time  I changed trannies but at best I got a sort of farty sound if I really hit the strings, not the musical fuzz I expected.  Normally I would say I have dodgy trannies but they work fine in a Range master.  Other than replacing the 8.2 K resistor with a trim pot, is there any where else in the schem that benefits from tweeking?  I also replaced the 2.2uf and 20uf caps with 1uf caps cos I dont have any 2.2 or20uf caps at present, does this have a major effect on the gain/volume output?

I feel like a Noobie again lol!

Cheers in advance
Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

petemoore

incap = HP Filter
33k biases Q1
470ohm, made as *1k boosts output more
100k FBLoop resistance
1k wierd taper gain pot, add series resistance to up gain, watch bias
Trimpot Q2Collector bias resistor, adjust for any Q swaps.
Socket Q's.
output cap =HP Filter
100k output pot is fine.
22uf made smaller uf value allows less amplifying of lower freq's.
See Fuzzcentral *Axis Face for LP Filter mod [cap across the 1k]
Pregain as in 'Easy Face with pregain control' knob
  I don't think I missed any "FF" Parts. Besides every part on the board, the trimpot is the only mod, also see ROG Multi Face, and 'technology of the fuzz face' at GEO..
  U might want a FF testboard, socketted Q's, caps, perhaps made to mod with a little bit bigger resistors than usual [you can always parallel another fixed R or even a pot to it, I left lead lengths above board on my FF Testboard for just this purpose] {a bit 'much' but I even made one once with all trimpots 'n sockets...
  FF's are highly variable, and respond with various gains using various transistors...may benefit from being slightly re-voiced...etc.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tcobretti

One of the things about this layout is that it is tight, so it's not as easy as it could be to swap components.  However, it is doable, and I have learned a ton in the last week or so since I built mine.  A couple of significant things I learnt: I used 47p caps on the transistors and it really kills the abrasive part of the treble if you use Si, and the 100k feedback resistor has a huge effect on gain (lower value=less gain).

DryRoasted

Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.