what is the purpose of a pcb?

Started by jtzim07, October 17, 2006, 01:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtzim07

i was just wondering if i had to use a pcb. i found a layout for a pcb, i was just wondering if i could use perfboard instead and just conncect the leads. would this still work? thanks anybody

petemoore

I had an Olson Frizzy Fuzz that was a 'hanging garden' circuit, no board.
  I used to use anything like a books hardback cover, or even countertop material, any fairly thin/strong/workable substrate.
  Sockets is what makes me need copper clad board, something to hook stuff up 'on', so that it's physicall mounted/conducts.
  copperless perfboard can be used, but I would't try using sockets with it.
  Perfboard is nice because you can make any connection from any dot to any other..makes nice permanent populated circuit board, socket friendly.
  PCB's are troublesome, [recent thread about 'how do you guys dispose of Ferric Chloride?' should be read, maybe even should be re-drafted into a sticky?] and require the handling and buying of equipment and toxic chemicals. Unless you plan on 'alot' of PCB-ing, buying one RTS is probably a good option to consider.
  PCB's make 'color by number' [careful with the colors, measure with DMM when possible, and the numbers and polarities/orientations...] board population possible.
  As do Vero Layouts. This type of board has a layout for a Phase 90 and many other effects, following the layout, quick permanent board populations can also be done, requiring also 'underboard wiring' which the PCB takes care of using it's copper traces. Vero is also socket friendly....maybe not the 'that' layout though...of course can be modified.
  If you study FF's, you can find pics of PCB's, Perfboard constructions, Vero layouts/pics of boards...electronically they 'can follow the same schematic connections/values.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

R.G.

Anything works, including the "hanging garden style" of just laying parts on a table and soldering the leads so they all connect and have no underlying board at all.

On the other hand, construction on some kind of holder helps the circuit be more reliable and not short out when you put it into a box. So yes, perfboard, veroboard, and PCB all work, as does a hanging garden cased up in a block of epoxy.

PCBs are (a) easy to make because the manual steps are minimized (b) reliable (c) consistent from one to the next.

For an overview of how you CAN build circuits, see "Effects Prototyping Techniques" at GEO, http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/protostyles/proto_styles.htm

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Rafa

When I started I made my circuit on whatever I had then I moved to pcb and it turned much easier.
It willl work, but it will be more dificult so it may disencourage you, maybe something like the electra distorion is perfect to start (I guess you are starting) that can be easily made without a pcb. Anithing doubt you have just ask.

Rafa