Need help building Ibanez Tube screamer.

Started by Izzy, October 08, 2006, 07:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

The green box looks like it shows the tone control components, possibly for reference to some subtext about it [not seen in that pic].
  The little arrow I think you're referring to is the V+ symbol, coming off of pin 8 [V+ of the opamp].
  The drive...someone else can explain...something to do with the 4k7 R and 4.7uf  cap coming from Vb and going to the tonepot/-input of the second oa.
  But...often simply adding a gain stage or chaining another distortion [see 'Shredmaster' subcontext in above post] to attain more grind/harder clipping...
  I'd go look at the schematic again, but I just twice lost posts with more typing than seen here...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Izzy

Thanks petemore for your Info. I guess that arrow was V+ for the opamp.

I would erally appreciate if anyone can answer this real quick as I am going to order all the parts from small bear right now.

I was going to buy small Boss type knobs:

but looks like  they dont have screws unlike the MXR ones which has screws on their side for knobs.

So is it those boss knobs dont have screws or am I not seeing them.? I want to get a knob with screw so that it will stay tight with pot.

This one has screws, I have used them for MXr project.

I hope this one has too.

Please, I would really appreciate if anyone can ans this real quick.

pyrop

Hi Izzy, you could always email or PM Steve and ask him. You can find his contact details on his profile page HERE
Can't help you otherwise though sorry.

pyrop ;D

Izzy

Looking at this PIC, I thing they do have screws. Thank god.  ;D

Izzy

Dont these opamps need to be powered? and grounded?

Its not mentioned in the picture, so I was just wondering?

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3295/creamerfk7.jpg

zpyder

Quote from: Izzy on October 09, 2006, 08:24:45 PM
I am kinda person who uses 70-90% of the distortion available everytime. So what would be the best way to increase the drive of This Tube screamer?
I started a thread on this topic not too long ago.  There are several very insightful posts that provide really good ideas for getting more distortion from a TS.  Here it is: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=50019.0

Quote from: petemoore on October 10, 2006, 02:05:37 AM
But...often simply adding a gain stage or chaining another distortion [see 'Shredmaster' subcontext in above post] to attain more grind/harder clipping...
This is also true - this is pretty much how I use my TS to my liking - I just put it after another distortion pedal.  I get the tone and "flavor" of the TS, but all the crunch of the shredmaster.

Quote from: Izzy on October 10, 2006, 02:11:54 AM
So is it those boss knobs dont have screws or am I not seeing them.? I want to get a knob with screw so that it will stay tight with pot.
Those "Boss style" knobs from Small Bear DO have set screws.  I have a few of them at home...

cheers,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

zpyder

Quote from: Izzy on October 10, 2006, 11:27:17 AM
Dont these opamps need to be powered? and grounded?
In that image, you will see two triangles refering to the opamp... BOTH of these triangles are the SAME chip - just different pins of it.  Industry standard opamps (like this one), have pin 4 connected to ground, and pin 8 goes to +V.  The diagram listed actually does show that, but pin 8 is on one of the triangles, while pin 4 is on the other - again, they are the SAME chip... This chip, as many opamps, is a DUAL opamp, in that there are actually two opamp circuits inside.  Hence, we can illustrate it as two triangles.

Hope this helps - if you already knew this, i didn't mean to insult you  8)

cheers,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

Izzy

Thanks A heap.!
I seriously didnt know that they were actually same opamp. Infact I just bought 2 opamps for this projects yesterday..haha..!
That's why I was wondering why one used 1,2,3,4 and other used 5,6,7,8. Know it makes sense!

haha Thanks once again!!! ;D

petemoore

Infact I just bought 2 opamps
  What kind?

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

zpyder

pete asks a good question.  Not all opamp ICs are dual.  some have only one, some have 4... In the case of the TL07x series, a TL071 has 1 opamp, a TL072 has 2 a TL074 has 4 - there are many different opamps out there - check their datasheets for how many amps are onboard

cheers
zpyder

Izzy

Quote from: petemoore on October 10, 2006, 07:35:38 PM
Infact I just bought 2 opamps
  What kind?

I bought 2 x JRC4558.

Since I have one extra now. I think I can replace my MXR's LM741CN with this one for more quiter sound. Am I right?

zpyder

4558's are industry-stabdard dual opamps.  They are also known for having a smoother/quieter sound - I dont know the 741's, but you're in the right direction.  try it out, see what you think! :)

zpyder

Izzy

First I need to make sure before I try them out. I dont want to fry my MXR  ;D

Does anyone knows if I can replace LM741CN with JRC4885?  :-\

burnt fingers

Izzy,

I can appreciate your need for information but you might try searching as many of your questions could be answered by previous treads, FAQ and other information readily available on this site as well as Geofex, AMZ, etc...

look at the data sheets for each op amp.  I think you will find the info you need there.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Izzy

Yes sir, I did searched using "JRC4885" but I couldnt really find info realted with replaceing chips. Infact only 3 post showed up.
May be I am using the wrong keyword? :-\

Eric H

Quote from: Izzy on October 10, 2006, 08:27:35 PM
First I need to make sure before I try them out. I dont want to fry my MXR  ;D

Does anyone knows if I can replace LM741CN with JRC4885?  :-\
The 741 is a single opamp, the 4558 is a dual, so the simple answer is no.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

zpyder

Izzy:

one of the best tips I ever got on this forum was to find datasheets on google.  Just go to google.com and type "JRC4558 datasheet" or "4558 datasheet".  There are many free services out there with all of the major datasheets.  Also, if you go to mouser.com and find the product you're looking for, the datasheets are linked there as well..

have fun!
zpyder

Izzy

Thanks petemore..

I just used "DIY layout creator" to build schematic on stripboard that I bought from Aron. I was so pissed off because of the slowness of this software.  It was so damn slow, to add anything i had to wait 5 sec.!! Is it because I am using vista? Or is this software like this?
Is there any other good software for strip board?

Anyway one Main question:
I have heard people say - you should always solder resistor and other element closer to the board so that they dont act like antenna. Now  I wanted to know if exposing leads of resistor wide acts as anteena or not? Like the one I have made in strip board below? Or is it only the height matter?

Can anyone check this stripboard below if they can find any error?
Esp I am confused about potentiometer wiring??

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7219/tubescreamernb6.jpg

Izzy

If anybody could answer my question. I would be very thankful.