how do you all dispose of Ferric Chloride?

Started by MetalGod, October 15, 2006, 07:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpocket

I am planning to start etching PBCs on my next project, I emailed my local council to find out the arrangements for toxic waste disposal. Looks like I will have to take it to the tip.  Failing that I will be neutralising it and putting it in a refuse bag...

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

ambulancevoice

that lazer cutting tool looks interesting
im going to start using FeCl3 soon, and this topic has been really informative
here in aus, there trying to start to use purified recycled water from the sewage system because of our drought
its actually cleaner than the water in taps we use now, but the state (queensland) im in still hasnt agreed to
start using it (i think), because the publics like "eewwww recycled sewage water" being the ignorant people they are

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

ambulancevoice

so, dumping it down the toilet wouldnt be a go i idea
ill try this baking soda method
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

mattpocket

I think we already have recycled water in the UK?

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

puretube

So the weather got warm enough to go swimming...
guess what: (latest newspaper report);

the ferric chloride only got rid of the algae where the "fresh" (phosphated) water enters the lake;

but the large part of the water already being in the lake however, has started to "bloom" again,
still having too strong a phosphate concentration.

Now they have added LIME (calcium/Kalk)...

I do wonder, how they`re going to mix the lime in a better way with the water content...
:icon_rolleyes:

Tomorrow (getting 30° summer temperatures till over the weekend) the authorities will anounce
whether bathing will beprohibited again, because of the algae...
(The Lime & FeCl3 are OK for the swimmers, so they say)!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Thanks for the feedback, puretube! nothing worse than threads that end in mid-air......
I think it is time for them to use mechanical filtration, try to comb it out with nets (works for whales!)
http://www.pondsbytom.com/lakefiltration.html maybe you should tell the local paper about this.

RaceDriver205

I dispose of mine in the Lake at my local Natural Wildlife Reserve. I figure it'll make the fish a bit tastier for the Pelicans.

Meanderthal

Dammit! The algae is back in my pond! 2 years clear, now pea soup. Well, I guess more fish ain't the answer, maybe I have more fish poop now...
It's getting overrun with frogs too... but tadpoles eat algae... but fish eat tadpoles...

Maybe I need to add some FeCl!
I am not responsible for your imagination.

RaceDriver205

Quotehere in aus, there trying to start to use purified recycled water from the sewage system because of our drought
its actually cleaner than the water in taps we use now, but the state (queensland) im in still hasnt agreed to
start using it (i think), because the publics like "eewwww recycled sewage water" being the ignorant people they are
Amen. They're happy to take 20minute showers and water the lawn though. People watch Big Brother, what do you expect.

nephsuperman

I am switching from ferric to the muriatic acid method laid out by John's PCB Making tips, its just so much cheaper.  I would think that using baking soda with it will produce the same neutralizing results.  Any thoughts on this to the contrary?
4 successful builds, 2 on the way.  Still trying to learn as much as I can.
GGG tube screamer *2, GGG ross compressor, and the GGG Crybaby replacement circuit.

sfx1999

nephsuperman: That should work, actually. In fact, once you get the pH low enough, you could flush it.

I don't know if the hydrogen peroxide is good to flush, though.

The other considerations are I don't know if that produces heat, whether it bubbles, or if the CO2 produced could suffocate you.

nephsuperman

thanks.  Those are good thoughts.  I would bet there there will be some reactions like you mentioned. I'll just make sure that I add the baking soda slowly and do it outside.  I am excited!
GGG tube screamer *2, GGG ross compressor, and the GGG Crybaby replacement circuit.

sfx1999

You should probably test its pH when finished, too.

markm

Quote from: nephsuperman on May 24, 2007, 02:28:59 PM
I am switching from ferric to the muriatic acid method laid out by John's PCB Making tips, its just so much cheaper.

Unless you live in Europe, I can't imagine that Ferric Chloride is all that expensive?
Radio Shack sells it for less than $5 a bottle.

nephsuperman

I got ferric at the shack for 10 bucks for a liter.  Using john's method, it is much cheaper.  plus, its clear so you can see the etching in process.

puretube

nephsuperman

puretube and markm are right, its only 5 bucks for 16 oz.

Chuck

Find someone you hate and pour it on their car.

remmelt

Segor.de has 1kg of FeCl3 for 6,40 euro. 250g in one liter of water. A liter is really WAY too much for etching PCBs, I use a quarter of a liter and use it multiple times. I've just recently put in more FeCl3 for etching some enclosures. It doesn't even look like I've dented the supply ;)

sfx1999

I forgot to mention, some muriatic (hydrochloric) acid precautions:

Wear safety gear (goggles, gloves), make sure that they can handle exposure to it
Don't use a metal etching tank. Use something that can handle it
NEVER POUR WATER INTO ACID. Remember, A to W (acid to water)
Do not pour it down the drain. I know I said it could be done, and it could if neutralized with baking soda, but it has copper in it. Copper BAD.