how do you all dispose of Ferric Chloride?

Started by MetalGod, October 15, 2006, 07:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Quote from: sfx1999 on May 26, 2007, 09:18:57 PM
I forgot to mention, some muriatic (hydrochloric) acid precautions:

Wear safety gear (goggles, gloves), make sure that they can handle exposure to it
Don't use a metal etching tank. Use something that can handle it
NEVER POUR WATER INTO ACID. Remember, A to W (acid to water)
Do not pour it down the drain. I know I said it could be done, and it could if neutralized with baking soda, but it has copper in it. Copper BAD.

This stuff seems almost as "bad" as FeCl.  ???

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

One difference between HCl and FeCl3: you already have hydrochloric acid in your stomach naturally!
They are both deadly corrosives, but FeCl3 is also fatal because of the iron.

As to mixing acid and water - mixing hydrochloric and water is OK, it's concentrated sulphuric and water that is dangerous (a lot of heat is generated, and if you aren't careful, you can get some of the water boiling & spitting sulphuric acid into your face, a BAD THING).

But I guess you have to be careful no matter what you are doing... when it comes to PCB etching, I'm a persulphate fan.

markm

Thanks for than info Paul, quite interesting.

Meanderthal

If ya buy 10% Hcl it's going to be extremely hard to hurt yourself with it... others have discussed 40% concentration, which would rip the hide right off ya. I'd recommend the weaker dilution, about as safe as vinegar. Till ya get it all full of copper anyway.

Ditto the stomache thing, we heartburn sufferers know that only too well. :icon_mad:

It won't do anything scary when you pour water into it. I did that countless times. With a hose.
I am not responsible for your imagination.