Would that work?

Started by alderbody, October 19, 2006, 09:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alderbody

This is an "enhanced" version of ROG's peppermill.
All the usual mods are in, plus an extra gain stage to compensate the level loss due to the diode clipping.

So the question is, would something like that work? (especially the extra gain stage, because the others are tested)

The tone control has a frequency range from ~285Hz to ~23KHz.

The clipping section(s) can be many switchable combinations of Si, Ge, LEDs, or mosfets.

What do you think about this?

PS. In case ROG do not approve this, please let me know to remove this schematic.

alderbody

MikeH

Well, I'm no expert, but I'll give my half a cent.  The extra gain stage would work (in the reguard that it would produce more gain), although I couldn't testify as to as wether or not it would sound good.  My suggestion is to breadboard it and find out.  The only thing I'm not sure about is the tone control.  Will that work?  I've only dealt with tone controls that use caps to filter off DC frequencies.  If this type of tone control works, could someone explain how?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

petemoore

I think it's in AMZ's lab notebook, a resistor/cap frequency calculator...
  one is like:
  Signal path input >ResistorC>output
                                          A
                                          P
                                     Ground
  and is a low pass filter as shown in above schematic
  The other reverses the position of the resistor/cap. and is a HP filter.
  See notebook for accuracy/clarity...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

alderbody

Quote from: MikeH on October 20, 2006, 10:34:21 AM
Well, I'm no expert, but I'll give my half a cent.  The extra gain stage would work (in the reguard that it would produce more gain), although I couldn't testify as to as wether or not it would sound good.  My suggestion is to breadboard it and find out.

That would be the best idea, but i'll have to find the time...
btw, it was just a slow day at work and some photoshop...
I believe the extra gain stage might compensate for the level loss of the diode clipper(s).

Quote from: MikeH on October 20, 2006, 10:34:21 AM
The only thing I'm not sure about is the tone control.  Will that work?  I've only dealt with tone controls that use caps to filter off DC frequencies.  If this type of tone control works, could someone explain how?
It's not much of a tone control, but a lowpass filter with a movable threshold frequency...
I put this pot-resistor configuration in place of the 8K2 resistor, which sets the threshold at about 8.8KHz.

just some ideas...