Author Topic: On and Off ?! :S  (Read 4171 times)

PNG123

On and Off ?! :S
« on: October 20, 2006, 02:39:40 PM »
After analysing my to-buy list and many of arons post i didn't understand 1 thing about the NPN Booster,
How do you Turn it offf?

So i understood, that the output cable turns it on and off right?
And the Switch (together with LED) just bypasses the Pedal.

Now could i make another swtich or use the current one as a power on/off, so as not to waste battery when i accidentaly forget the Leads plugged in.?

Thank,
PNG

zyxwyvu

Re: On and Off ?! :S
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 02:51:46 PM »
The power is usually switched with the input jack. When you plug the input cable in, it connects the battery ground to the circuit ground. To add a switch to turn the circuit on/off, you can add an SPST switch between the battery and either it's ground or +9V connection.

PNG123

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 02:56:08 PM »
ok thanks

aron

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 04:11:49 PM »
Hehehe GOOD QUESTION but answered in the FAQ:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_FAQ

Power - How do I make the input jack switch the power on and off?

Get a stereo 1/4" jack for the input of your pedal. Connect the tip connector to the input of the effect. Connect the sleeve to the ground of your effect. Connect the 3rd connector (the ring) to the negative of the battery (or the positive if your pedal uses a reversed power supply such as the Tycobrahe Octavia or some Fuzz Faces). When the cord is inserted into the jack, the ring connects to ground completing the circuit.

PNG123

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 11:34:52 AM »
Hehe, i read the FAQ 3 times!!.
My question was can i make a normal switch (on-off) instead of that system :)
(btw, is the on-off inpuit jack included in your diagrams ?)

Peter Snowberg

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 02:04:17 PM »
You can always use a normal switch instead of the jack for power, but you might leave the switch on just as easily as you might leave the cables plugged in. Normal switches can also get bumped on so the cable switch method makes sure off is really off.

I would invest in recharegable batteries or power your pedals from an external supply if it's a big problem.

To use a normal switch without any other changes, just disconnect the negative battery lead from the ring contact on the jack and connect it to one side of your new switch. Now add a little jumper wire from the other side of the switch to ground. There you go. :)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

PNG123

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 03:31:48 PM »
So it would go to the ground which eventually would go to the negative side of the input jack to right?
or no?

aron

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 10:24:06 PM »
My question was can i make a normal switch (on-off) instead of that system

Of course. Pick either the red or black wire from the battery, cut either one of them in two. Now get a SPST switch and wire the ends to the two lugs in the switch. When the switch is ON, the circuit works, when it's OFF, the circuit is off (i.e. wires are not connected).