News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Spin semiconductor fv-1

Started by jmasciswannabe, October 24, 2006, 12:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puretube

DaveTV

Say, just noticed that the schematic for the FV-1 development board is now posted on Spin's site (in case anyone's interested).

DaveTV

Can anyone clue me in to what the big 56-pin chip connected to the USB is?

octfrank

Cypress CY7C68013A
Fixed on the PDF now.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

puretube

WELCOME to this (the) forum, Frank  :icon_smile:

Peter Snowberg

Welcome to the forum, Frank.  :icon_cool:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

octfrank

I've been working on a leslie program for the FV-1. Looking to have someone critique it prior to posting it on the Spin site. If anyone is interested please email me for a copy of the program.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

TELEFUNKON

TL431 OK for creating 3.3V out of 9V from wallwart?

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: TELEFUNKON on December 21, 2006, 05:10:27 PM
TL431 OK for creating 3.3V out of 9V from wallwart?

The TL431 is a voltage reference and not a regulator so I would use a device designed as a regulator instead. The difference between the devices isn't much, but regulators are generally a bit more robust than their reference cousins. The 431 would probably work fine, but I would suggest a low drop-out regulator like the LM1117 (Data Sheet) for the job.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

TELEFUNKON

tnx - will try to find them

the others I had found were all VLDO types
which can`t stand more than 8V input
or were of too large footprint.

then I thought about a TS78L05 followed by 2 or 3 diodes to drop more voltage,
but funnily enough, my supplier only has Rev.1 of the datasheet (compared to above Rev.B which I just found @ Maplin),
that does not show the pinout.

DaveTV

Just wondering if anyone knows of any distributors for this chip yet. I've tried contacting Spin Semi directly, but no response. Small Bear was going to try to get some in stock, but I haven't heard any updates on this.

puretube

look 4 posts back... (the sig in Frank`s reply #66...  :icon_wink:)

(if you`re in Europe: mail these guys...;
it may not be on their current website, but they were very quick with providing the goodies
with a little help of Frank!)

TELEFUNKON

oufff, that took a while:
my usual supplier had the LM1117 (100/500/800mA) workalikes hidden behind some other nomenclature...

the other suppliers only offered large current 3.3V regs, that cost more than half of the Spin chip itself  :icon_eek:

puretube

Quote from: jmasciswannabe on October 24, 2006, 12:57:41 PM
I don't know much of anyhting concerning this stuff, but ran across an add for it in the new products page in Music Inc magazine. It looked pretty rad especially with the analog potentiometer inputs. Searched for it on this board, but didn't find anything. Maybe a good chip for a project?...

THANX again, JMW, for pointing to this product!  Much appreciated!!!  :icon_smile:

SeanCostello

Anyone come up with a standard PC board design for this, that they would like to share?

Alternately, anyone know of any good adaptors (sp?) to use the FV-1 in a perfboard design?

Thanks,

Sean Costello

puretube

reply #5
the middle one of the 3 layouts is the surf-adapter I made/use for it.

the problem: I don`t have a file for the layout, that is compatible with any of the known PCB-design software.

the low-most adapter in this pic is the spin.

puretube

MR COFFEE

Hi Puretube,

You're gonna make me have to investigate this chip. I've been studying the docs and it looks sooo cool !!!!

Thanks for sharing the adapter pics and layouts...

Glad this thread has kicked back up.

Greets to y'all

Bart

SeanCostello

Quote from: puretube on November 15, 2006, 04:12:30 AM
the Spin`s "dry" output signal is being phase-shifted from ~0° at very low frequencies
up to several thousands of degrees at high audio-frequencies
compared to the "original" (=input) signal.

when sweeping a signal-generator from low to high,
the 2 traces on the scope look like those of a >24 stage phaseshifter... 

This sounds like a straight delay - which would register as a low amount of phase shift at low freqs, and a high amount for high frequencies. A >24 stage phase shifter approximates a straight delay, assuming that all stages have the same poles.

My guess is that the delay is an artifact from the A/D and D/A convertors. Most convertors have some amount of delay inherent in them.

I'm all fired up on the FV-1 this week, so I will be digging up a lot of these old posts.

Sean Costello

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Sean, did you see my layout yet, should help getting started with this chip as a pedal.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com