Rebote 2.5 Perf Layout - Verified! Compact!

Started by zpyder, October 24, 2006, 03:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zpyder

Hey everybody.  I'm proud to announce my first working and verified layout - the Rebote 2.5 Delay!  This layout is for all you brave perfers out there.  It fits nicely on Aron's 2.3" X 1.9" Perfboard (see STORE: http://www.diystompboxes.com/cart/) with the help of a few insulated wires on back.  This baby's crammed on there and really saves some space.  It was verified on 10/21/06 by oldrocker.  You can find it in my layouts gallery at http://aronnelson.com/gallery/zpyders-perf-layouts.  Look there for more perf layouts in the future as I plan on trying to do more in the future.

PLEASE NOTE: several leads on this layout are intended to be insulated wire placed on the bottom of the board, over the solder points below them.  All of these are written in on the left of the layout.  If you don't observe these and instead solder the lead as you would normally, I'm sure your circuit will fail!

This is the board I put together over the weekend, I have NOT yet tested it.  This pic's kinda blurry - sorry bout that.

Hopefully we'll get a pic of the verified board from oldrocker here soon.  Here's a quote from him: "So a big congrats on a working layout.  MY REBOTE ROCKS MAN!!!!"

I'd love to hear what you more-experienced types think of this - comments, suggestions, whatever.

thanks!  it feels good to give back,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

Connoisseur of Distortion

my mind is scarred.

amazing work, though. props on that tiny board  ;)

oldrocker

Hey zpyder,  nice job on the board.  Looks good.  Better than mine.  I didn't use the correct size board so I had to do some choppin to size it.  Click below to see a picture.  It doesn't look great like zpyders but sounds great.  :icon_biggrin:
http://www.logmonster.com/images/full/?pic=Rebote25_1161671146-422-14106.jpg

zpyder

oldrocker-
Are you using tantalums for your 1uF caps there?

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

markm

Ya know zpyder, I am not a perf-builder.
I prefer etched boards but man, I gotta say that I am impressed with both the builds that you and oldrocker did.
I don't have the patience nor the desire to perf circuits but, you guys get a big thumbs up from me.
Real NICE Job guys.  :icon_cool:

joelap

Wow!  Impressive man!

I'll tell you, I used to be anti-perf.  But I'll tell you, I have better luck with perf projects than the glass-epoxy pcb ones!  not to mention, a piece of perf is less expensive!

great job.  I wonder if I could breadboard that...
- witty sig -

oldrocker

Yes I used tantalums.  I have a hard time getting electro 1uF around here for some reason.  They sound great in the circuit although I'm not sure it makes much difference though.  Thanks Markm after seeing your builds that's a real compliment.  Yes joelap there is a breadboarded example on Youtube.com.  Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rebote+delay

choklitlove

that's cool that you guys have the patience for stuff like that.  i don't.  i think things like that just piss me off.  i'd rather devote a little more time etching and preparing a nice, neat pcb.  blank copper boards are just as cheap as perf anyway.  i think i'd be able to etch, cut, and populate the entire board (maybe even offboard stuff too) before i could do that perf layout.

i envy the patience, but don't see the point.  good job, but no thanks!
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

audioguy

Have you got the DIY file available for us to toy with?

Thanks!

oldrocker

Quote from: choklitlove on October 25, 2006, 04:47:37 AM
i'd rather devote a little more time etching and preparing a nice, neat pcb. 
Well I've got nothing against etching.  If you want neat then that's the way to go.  Although look at soggybags layout for the Rebote 2 or tungngruv's finished perfed Easydrive.  To me they look as good as any etched PCB I've seen.  It's alot easier to modify circuits too.  Sure copper clad boards aren't expensive but after buying etchant solution and a laser printer (which I don't have) cost go up a little.  As your quote states is just my point.  I don't have time to etch and prepare a nice neat job.  For me drilling all those little holes would drive me crazy.  And then there's the chance of screwing the etch process up.  I know some are experts at it but I know mine would be #@cked.  I can't afford to trash projects and waste more time re-doing it.  I've perfed over 40 DIY effects and they all work and never had to discard one.  To each his own though and I respect what you're saying.  I'm sure more people in this forum would share your view point over mine.  But hey, I will etch a board someday but if I have to use a Sharpie I'd rather wait to when I can buy a laser printer.  And you're right I wouldn't call my perf projects neat but they are fuctional and for me that's what really counts.

choklitlove

Quote from: oldrocker on October 25, 2006, 10:55:55 AM
Well I've got nothing against etching.  If you want neat then that's the way to go.  Although look at soggybags layout for the Rebote 2 or tungngruv's finished perfed Easydrive.  To me they look as good as any etched PCB I've seen.  It's alot easier to modify circuits too.  Sure copper clad boards aren't expensive but after buying etchant solution and a laser printer (which I don't have) cost go up a little.  As your quote states is just my point.  I don't have time to etch and prepare a nice neat job.  For me drilling all those little holes would drive me crazy.  And then there's the chance of screwing the etch process up.  I know some are experts at it but I know mine would be #@cked.  I can't afford to trash projects and waste more time re-doing it.  I've perfed over 40 DIY effects and they all work and never had to discard one.  To each his own though and I respect what you're saying.  I'm sure more people in this forum would share your view point over mine.  But hey, I will etch a board someday but if I have to use a Sharpie I'd rather wait to when I can buy a laser printer.  And you're right I wouldn't call my perf projects neat but they are fuctional and for me that's what really counts.
screw buying a laser printer!  i don't have one.  i just use a copy machine at the local library (10 cents per sheet), or i'll send it with someone whose work has one.  having one would be a little more convenient, but this is okay for now.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

sfr

+1 on photocopiers, that's the route I go.  For those not into etching themselves, the boards that Tonepad and GGG sell are a great buy. 

I will say, etching boards never seemed as hard to me as some folks make it out to be - I etched my first few boards following the steps in the Tonepad photoessay religiously, and I've done dozens of boards now, and have *never* had a problem with any of them. 

sent from my orbital space station.

zpyder

I'm really pretty new to this DIY FX pedal game... first two builds I did were purchased PCB's from tonepad - that was great, but mainly just caus my ignant a$$ could actually build them!  It seemed to me that the next logical step was to go perf.. as a way of both forcing myself to LEARN the circuit I was building in & out (I didn't really know what made up a TS or how it worked even though I built one until I read RG's article since I did it on premade PCB!), having a platform that was easily modable and alterable should the need arise, and practicing close soldering.  Vero seems silly to me in that it doesn't follow the same framework as the other, much more standard methods out there (PCB & perf).  But that's just me... I understand why people use vero, but it seems to me to be a whole other animal.  And I'd give myself less props if I were working on an easier medium (one's own worst critic...)  Now DIYing your own PCB obviously requires the same understanding of the circuit as perfing one, so my original noob reasons for going perf don't really apply to them.  I may etch in the future - my main concern with it is the use of chemicals.  I walk or bike to work, I recycle religiously (not just on sunday) but before I do I reuse the shite, I hardly drive except to gigs, I don't leave chemical poison out for the ants in my kitchen - why would I want to buy, destroy, and dispose of (the proper methods for which I don't know) noxious chemicals??  I'm sure there is plenty on the subject I don't understand, but that's my first hesitation - not only the disposal of the chems, but also storing the stuff in my house, where there is a dog and sometimes children.  Sure, I drink, smoke, use drugs, have one-night stands, look directly at the sun, bike without a helmet, and jump off high cliffs into water, but for the most part, these things only effect me - and even if they dont, I'd better have a good reason to add to the list.  I also derive some satisfaction from doing things the down-n-dirty way.  A little more effort and a little less technology somehow gets me off... I CAN do it without etchant, so why not?... I would have to say, though, that the one thing that really does draw me to etching and etchant is the ability to etch enclosures.  I've seen some really great etched DIY boxes out there (good job guys!!).  If I decide in the future to market pedals here locally, I may seriously consider etched boxes for my 'pro' line.  Plus I think they look cool.  But then again, so does spray paint and clearcoat on RACO boxes.  :)

cheers,
zpyder

oldrocker

Like I said I'm sure that most won't take my view on the subject.  I'll have to see if my library has a laser printer or photo copier. They should but it's a dinky one.  I've etched once in my high school vocational electronics class.  That was ages ago 1979.  I got an A.  It was believe it or not a fuzz pedal.  
It's funny I actually have fun perf boarding circuits.  I know it sounds crazy but it relaxes me as I sit studying layouts and or schamatics and start soldering.  Paul M. of DIYGuitarist.com thought I was crazy too I'm sure.  Since no one sees the insides of my pedals but me I don't see a reason to be too picky about it as long as it works.
But OK I'll give it a shot on my next build and see how it goes.  I'll have to find a complicated schem from Tonepad to etch.  I have a RS etch kit so I can try using that for now.  I'm sure if I have problems I can come here to ask some questions.  I'll do some reading and find out as much about it as I can before I start.  Like zpyder I do worry about proper disposal of the chemicals.  I have guests staying with me during this Halloween weekend so I'll have wait until they leave to start it.  Any suggestions for an etched project to consider?  Oh and yes I would love to etch an enclosure someday.  Those are amazing.

oldrocker

Question on etching materials.  Do you have to use press 'n' peel to print on?  Or is there another way?  Another question.  How hard is it to drill the holes without a drill press.  Is the drill supplied by RS the right size?  I heard it was too big.  Also etchent solution disposal is questionable as far as I've read.  How do most of you get rid of it? 

zpyder

Quote from: oldrocker on October 26, 2006, 12:32:50 AM
Also etchent solution disposal is questionable as far as I've read.  How do most of you get rid of it? 

Check out this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=50426.0

zpyder

audioguy

alfafalfa

zpyder

Quote from: audioguy on October 26, 2006, 09:34:33 AM
I get a 404 error trying to get there.
hmmmm... I see that as well.

Okay... well it seems that my webserver isn't set up to let people access .diy files.  So I put the .diy and also the .gif into a .zip, which is at:

http://www.mattrabe.com/circuits/Rebote2_5.zip

hope that works better...

zpyder