So-Simple Compressor in Layouts Gallery

Started by markm, October 24, 2006, 08:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Check it out fellas,
Two different versions of the Simple Comp idea.
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album15
Thank you to puzzle87 who did a trmendous job with both of these circuits to help bring them to us!
Both are UNVERIFIED at the moment but, if someone has the time and would like to test them, please post the results.
If not, I hope to have results for you by the weekend.

John Lyons

Thanks for your work mark. I'll have to get to this one sometime.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Izzy

Mark thats cool.

I am inspired to use padper hole from small bear electronics after looking at your gallery. I like the way how the connection  in perfboard are shown as if they were done in PCB.
I wanted to know what would you use to make connection between two parts there? How would you make those long black lines?
are we supposed to just make connection using solder all way?  :D
Any suggestion?

markm

Well,
I'm not a perf-builder, just designer  ;D
ummmm....I would think either clipped leads or buss wire found here>>>http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=129
maybe a couple of the real die-hard perf guys could give better guidance than I can but, there's a couple of ideas for you.
Quote from: Izzy on October 24, 2006, 11:23:13 PM
I am inspired to use padper hole from small bear electronics after looking at your gallery. I like the way how the connection  in perfboard are shown as if they were done in PCB.

bancika's software is Fantastic isn't it!  :icon_wink:

Izzy

No, that software was really slow! I nearly passed out when I used it last time for TS-9.
Didnt mean of offense anyone. :-X

So you recoomend bare tinned wires? dont they give noise because they are not insulated?

John Lyons

Insulation on wires is to protects against wires touching each other. Noise does not come from bare wires. Every circuit board has bare wire or traces underneith. Shielding with a copper braid/mesh surrounding an inulated center lead can help with noise on input wires. These are two different things though.
To make longer traces and runs of wire you can either use an insulated piece of wire, bare wire (sold in spools to use for these types of things) or the cut off pieces from other resistors and caps.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Meanderthal

QuoteHow would you make those long black lines?
are we supposed to just make connection using solder all way?  Cheesy
Any suggestion?

You'll find that isn't much of a problem. The parts come with all that extra wire- look at the average resistor. You just stick it thru the hole, bend it in the right direction, and solder directly onto the lead of the next piece(after snipping it to length) which also has plenty extra(also known as point-to-point), You wind up with all these little pieces of bare wire that you cut to length, and just use that to fill in the very few 'blanks', also use 'em for jumpers on the top of the perf. Easy as pie. The pad per hole stuff allows you to tack the leads down firm at any point. I personally don't find this to be an advantage, in fact it forces you to have a less compact layout sometimes, but the layouts you're talking about won't be a problem.

Don't go making a whole pcb with one giant solder bridge...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

markm

Anybody built this yet?
I've been trying to get the time to verify the layout but have been unable to do so yet.
Just wondering.

brett

Or did anybody try my earlier 2 x regular NPN transistor version?  I'm not sure whether Markm tried it.  He made a layout.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

markm

I did build the earlier version but the compression control did not function  :icon_confused:
However, it sounded good in it's own right but I kind of abandoned it for the time being  :icon_frown:

markm

Hear-Ye, Hear-Ye!!
Just wanted to tell y'all that the So-Simple Comp version 1 in my layouts gallery is up and running and VERIFIED!!  :icon_biggrin:
This is a great sounding comp guys, kinda O/S-ish but with a definite character of it's own and it is VERY Quiet surprisingly!
Try it out !! Both PCB and perf versions can be found here>>>>>>>http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album15
Version 2 will be verified soon....stay-tuned!

PNG123

Wow, nice gallery,

I was thinking of tyring out the Cream Pie PNP booster, (currently unverified).
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/CreamPie_LAYOUT_001

But i couldn't make out 3 things;
1) VR = Variable Resistor = Pot right? What type..linear ?
2) Vol = A500k
Those this mean that i should fit an Audio Taper Pot of 500k ?
3) The volume pot connects to 3 'holes' in the PCB layout,
so what is the 4th hole on the left ?
Same goes for the rightmost part of the layout where in the output area there are 3 'holes'

Could anyone explain please.

markm

Quote from: PNG123 on October 28, 2006, 01:56:48 PM
Wow, nice gallery,

I was thinking of tyring out the Cream Pie PNP booster, (currently unverified).
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/CreamPie_LAYOUT_001

But i couldn't make out 3 things;
1) VR = Variable Resistor = Pot right? What type..linear ?
2) Vol = A500k
Those this mean that i should fit an Audio Taper Pot of 500k ?
3) The volume pot connects to 3 'holes' in the PCB layout,
so what is the 4th hole on the left ?
Same goes for the rightmost part of the layout where in the output area there are 3 'holes'

Could anyone explain please.

Hello and Thank you  :)
VR1 is a 100K trim-pot for biasing the tranny.
The Volume pot is an Audio Taper 500K.
4th hole on the left is Ground and the same with the 2 on the opposite side.
I sometimes add a few extra and sometimes I don't include enough of them  :icon_lol:
Hope this helps!

PNG123

Yup sure helped :)
I will be building them using Salty Beans Method (adapted from some company forgot the site), of PCCB,
Stick to Cereal boxes together. Stick the layout pic on one side and the 'black' side on the other side of the ceral boxes :),
Then just stick the components through and bend to match the black traces.

If i am not wrong,
Isn't there ideally supposed to be only 1 ground point which then leads to jack etc..?

Also ,in your diagrams do VR always mean Trim-Pot?

markm

VR is a trimpot in all of my stuff.
This is bancika's Amazing software that is a tremendous tool to use!
There is only one ground point. It's that Thick trace that goes all around the outside of the Layout!  :icon_lol:
I do it like this to keep the build neater.
Good luck with your builds!

PNG123

:o :icon_biggrin: Tricky :),
Now i noticed realised that the black thick line going round the layout is the ground  :-X

Congrats again,
And thanks for those great lay outs

markm

Quote from: PNG123 on October 28, 2006, 02:20:54 PM
:o :icon_biggrin: Tricky :),
Now i noticed realised that the black thick line going round the layout is the ground  :-X

Congrats again,
And thanks for those great lay outs

:icon_biggrin:
Not a problem my friend.....enjoy!
Let us know how you do with your builds please!

KerryF

Hows this compare with the AussieComp or the AussieMart.  I really want to build a compressor and this looks nice.

KerryF

Ok, almost finished building the V1!!!  Just need to know if I can use a 500k trimpot instead of the 1k one.  Im sure I can, but just want to verify before I get it all connected via perfboard.