Author Topic: Component Types  (Read 3070 times)

PNG123

Component Types
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:32:01 PM »
Ok, so i am filling my shopping cart with stuff, and was abit confused;

1) What Electrolyics to get; Axial or Radial

2) What Caps to get? - From small Bear there are ;
Capacitors, Low Voltage Poly Film
Capacitors, Xicon High Voltage Poly Film
Capacitors, Mallory 150 Series Poly Film

3) is 'pad per hole' board the same as a perf board (ie; can it be used for this project?)

4) You mentioned 'hook-up wire'
Is this hook up wire;    

Heat Shrink Black 1/16 [.063] diam. - 1 ft.

??

Which ones?

Till now these are my only 2 problems i will post mory quesries later,
Also mf = uf right?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:55:16 PM by PNG123 »

captntasty

Re: Component Types
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 07:28:45 AM »
1) radial - generally speaking 16v or better
2)Low Voltage Poly Film
3)same stuff - a single pad to solder on for every hole = pad per hole
4) you would use heat shrink tubing in places where you have exposed connections - like where a LED is soldered to wire and the leads are exposed.  Not necessary but makes for nice finished look.  Check here http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=85
I'd recommend black and red for power hookup and at the very least one other color.  Before I started using many multiple colors to help keep track of which wires were going where, I used 3 colors other than red and black - 1 color for input path, one color for output path and the third for wiring pots.  I remembered which was in and out by using this little device: ORANGE you IN?  YELLOW you're out.  Yellow as in, being a chicken.  Gray for pots cause it's a nice neutral color.  You could use whatever colors work for you, though.  You can always add to collection of colors at a later date.
5) mf = microfarad = uf where u represents the lower-case greek letter mu.  The prefix mu or μ represents, you guessed it, micro-
   very small values will be represented by p - pf = picofarads.  I always forget the conversion from pico to micro, but there are        numerous capacitor conversion tables out there.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 07:47:21 AM by captntasty »
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

PNG123

Re: Component Types
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 09:16:34 AM »
Thans for your reply :)