OT - Wow! 2.85" in 30 minutes!

Started by Paul Marossy, August 20, 2003, 12:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Here in Las Vegas, the area of town where I live received 2.85" of rainfall in 30 minutes! Several intersections about 2-3 miles north of me had 6 foot of flood water running through them, flash floods galore, flooded homes and apartments, US95 closed down, hundreds of stranded cars... It looked like I was thrown into a pool I got so wet just getting to my car from the office, about a 30 foot walk. I never seen anything like it in the 23 years I have lived here. That's two hundred year floods in four years.

I'm just glad I live in the part of town where the water doesn't go when it rains like that. All of my poor stompboxes would have drowned!!

Anyhow, so far no one has died as far as I know.  :D

aron

WOW! Well, that's normal in Hilo, HI  :)  

Pretty wild for up there!

gez

When I saw the title for this thread in the index I though I was looking at my Spam!  (though they usually have the word 'extra' in there somewhere).

gez
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Paul Marossy

Yeah, I know tropical climates can get that kind of rainfall, but in the desert, that water has nowhere to go. The ground is very parched and dry, but also very compacted. The water just runs off wherever it can go. Wild day yesterday.

Mike Burgundy

...in most of Europe, really.
Been bone-dry for weeks now, rivers and lakes falling dry, they even had to let salt water into the mainland to prevent all kinds of trouble (but causing all kinds of different trouble by doing so anyway)

william

I remember when I lived at fort Irwin about 30 minutes from Death Valley when it would rain the air would start to smell of clay.  Can't imagin what six feet of flood waters is going to smell like.  Or for that matter the humidity before the moistur is reasorbed.

William

Paul Marossy

Yeah, it is quite humid here today, but fortunately it's not in even in the 80's yet. It's quite miserable when it's 105 deg F and 35%+ humidity.
There will be a lot of clean up work to do, there is like 18 inches of dirt and rocks in some intersections. A lot of broken down block walls from the weight of the flood waters. Some people had 3 or 4 feet of water in their homes, and I am pretty sure that no one on my side of town has flood insurance. Fortunately, flooding in my neighborhood is not likely. They are expecting more rain today...

I hope in rains in Europe soon. :)
I heard about the heat wave there, too.

PJM