Simple Delay Schem?

Started by lchyi, October 30, 2006, 02:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lchyi

I'm looking to design a circuit to create a super simple delay. Basically I can't seem to break down the bigger looking schematics so I want to just produce a circuit that will repeat the signal 1-5 times and have only enough time to do a slapback echo (75-250ms right?). There seem to be a tone of articles about overdrives and such, but are there any regarding the creation of delay circuits?

Seljer

Go look up the Rebote delay, its based off the digital PT2399 delay chip and it should do everything you want it to.

If you don't want digital than you have to go and use old analog BBD delay chips.

delay just isn't one of those simple things for which there are dozens of ways to do

Mark Hammer

If you go to www.generalguitargadgets.com, you will find a few circuits/projects for such a delay.

Please note, however, that the expression "simple delay schematic" is an oxymoron much like "jumbo shrimp", "tight slacks", "military intelligence", or "short post from Hammer".  By their very nature, they will be as complex as building several distortions, or a phaser and a tremolo.  They HAVE gotten simpler over the years, and certainly there is no shortage of expertise here to guide you through all the hurdles in building one.....but they are, and have never really been, "simple".

People seem to like the Rebote.  There is a considerable division of opinion about digital vs analog chips, but generally speakingthe circuit will be cheaper and simpler (such as it is) using one of the various digital chips currently available.

lchyi

Alright, how about we get super simple.

One repeat, 40ms, that's it. Kind of like hard coding in programming. Nothing is adjustable, nothing is variable. Just that.

oldschoolanalog

IMHO the Rebote is as simple as it gets. If you really want, you can always get an old reel to reel tape deck and convert that.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

soggybag

I agree the Rebote is about as simple as a delay will get, and again I agree, and itsounds pretty good.

I have a layout for it that will even fit in  a 1590 B sized box. http://www.webdevils.com/stompbox/images/1590b-01_template_Rebote_2.jpg

343 Salty Beans

Quote from: lchyi on October 30, 2006, 02:43:02 PM

One repeat, 40ms, that's it. Kind of like hard coding in programming. Nothing is adjustable, nothing is variable. Just that.

Well, I've never seen any DIY schem/pedal here like that. You could always simply use trimpots (or careful mathematics and precision resistor measuring) in place of your pots and dial in the right time...but as long as you can use pots, why not get more versatility out of it?  ;)

I'm in the middle of a rebote build...I mostly just need to buy an enclosure for it so I can measure wiring lengths and solder everything in, but I'm almost broke right now  :icon_rolleyes: I'd suggest it. If you don't mind spending an extra 15 bucks, Tonepad has a great-quality, super-easy-to-populate PCB that will simplify things quite a bit.

dream_noir

Look up the datasheet for the PT2399, there is a schematic for a very simple delay and echo circuit in it, with a reference table for delay times.

Seljer

It still doesn't get much simpler, you always need to have that main delay section in there.

With the PT2399 mentioned before, the delay time is set by one pot thats connected to one of the pins, replace that with a fixed resistor.
And to only have one repeat you'd just need a simple mixer at the end of the delayed signal+the dry signal (if you wanted multiple repeates than you'd just add feedback from the end of the delay to the input). So you've basically got the whole thing allready given to you.

With an analog delay, you'd need need a BBD chip and a clock generator for it (which can be of a fixed frequency if you only want 40ms), then the same deal as before with the mixer of the dry+delayed signal...
You need to a low pass filter to get rid of the higher frequencies since analog delay pedals don't have the power to reproduce them.
I also see that most of the analog delay pedals available have a compander at the start and end of it to keep the signal:noise ratio at a decent level.

and I may have to slightly highjack the thread here:
could you wire up multiple PT2399s in series and wire up a stereo pot for the delay length control to get a longer delay pedal? or 2 different pots to make a multi tape delay? ping pong delay?
I have an urge to buy a couple of these and mess around with them  :icon_biggrin:

Ge_Whiz

Quote from: lchyi on October 30, 2006, 02:43:02 PM

Play in a real BIG room.

Arno van der Heijden

QSQCaito

I built the pt2399 echo app circuit, which is in the datasheet of the pt2399 delay chip. There's a PCB Layout in geofex, very easy to build. Two pots, delay time and repeats. And a resitor to set minimum delay time. It sounds good for such a simple delay ;)

Bye!

DAC
D.A.C

Mark Hammer

A single MN3207/BL3207 BBD and a MN3102/BL3102 clock will be able to produce decent very short delays in the slapback range.  But as noted, you still need filters and mixers, so it doesn't get that much LESS complicated making a simple slapback circuit compared to something that will do slapback *and* longer echoes.

dano12

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 30, 2006, 02:41:43 PM
"short post from Hammer"

Sorry, just had to spew some cheap beer through my nose.

ROFLCopter.

markm

The Rebote 2 -or- 2.5 at Tonepad is a winner for sure so......Don't Delay  :P give it a shot!

Dragonfly

Quote from: dano12 on October 30, 2006, 07:16:34 PM
"short post from Hammer"

ROFLCopter.

Mark Hammer must not be "feeling well" tonight  !   :icon_mrgreen:

searoad

Quote from: Dragonfly on October 30, 2006, 09:24:17 PM
"short post from Hammer"

ROFLCopter.

lol +1
we all love mr.Hammer!!!! :-*

Psych0F0x

Quote from: searoad on October 30, 2006, 11:35:20 PM
"short post from Hammer"

ROFLCopter.

lol +1

Lollercoaster +1

Stop! Hammertime!

Dragonfly

Quote from: searoad on October 30, 2006, 11:35:20 PM
"short post from Hammer"

ROFLCopter.

lol +1

yep...Mark is one hell of a resource around here, and by all accounts, a GREAT guy !  i'm just not used to seeing one or two sentence posts from him !

AC

Rafa

Hi:
I want that too ;D
Simple delay great idea  ;)
The pt2399 is not available in my country :(
so theres no substitute so Ill have to keep on using my rp100.
If somebody has designed a non commercial delay apart from the pt2399, It would be great to know as all the components commercial delays include arent available here.
Thankssss