GGG IC buffer - makes my my DL-4 pop

Started by scotsman, October 31, 2006, 09:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsman

Greetings to all.  I recently built/added the GGG IC buffer to my "rig" - and no matter where it sits in my signal chain it seems to cause my Line 6 -DL4 to "pop" when I press any of the footswitches on it (the DL-4 that is.)  The buffer has no switch on it - it's always on.  The pedals are powered off a VooDoo Labs Pedal Power. 

Any thoughts as to why this is happening and what if anything I can do to correct it?

Bernardduur

Hey; I have the exact same question, only mine is with two buffers

I made this in - outbox with two buffers; one for the input signal, one for the outgoing signal. Every pedal I place between these buffers pop when I turn it on

Any thoughts?

Pops are quite small and sometimes not audible. I use 1M ref resistors for the IC's (100k / 100k to get Vref) and 2M2 resistors on the in and output of the buffers (just like the superbuffer)
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

scotsman

Anyone?  I messed around with it for over an hour last night.. Just can't get the pop to disappear!

R.G.

Use your DMM and measure the DC voltage level on the output of the buffer. If the buffer is providing a DC level, it may be providing more DC current than pulldown resistors can handle.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

scotsman

Quote from: R.G. on November 01, 2006, 10:33:46 AM
Use your DMM and measure the DC voltage level on the output of the buffer. If the buffer is providing a DC level, it may be providing more DC current than pulldown resistors can handle.

Depending on where/how I place my meter - I get about 1.4v or a 3.8v reading. 
Again this pedal is switchless - and always on.  So, the voltage it's putting out is someown messing with my DL-4?  Any suggestions on how to "fix" this?

You are the master, R.G.

lovekraft0

IIRC, there is no pulldown resistor on the GGG IC buffer's output - perhaps a 2.2M strapped across the output jack would solve the problem?

R.G.

QuoteDepending on where/how I place my meter - I get about 1.4v or a 3.8v reading.
Again this pedal is switchless - and always on.  So, the voltage it's putting out is someown messing with my DL-4?  Any suggestions on how to "fix" this?
It is likely that capacitor C2 is either shorted or backwards. Lack of a pulldown resistor on the outside of C2 should only be a problem with true bypass switching of this pedal, not in your situation.

Popping is almost always a sudden shift in DC level. When you solve the problem of where the DC is coming from, you will get rid of pops. Go find out why C2 is letting DC out of the buffer.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

scotsman

Quote from: R.G. on November 02, 2006, 08:06:53 AM
QuoteDepending on where/how I place my meter - I get about 1.4v or a 3.8v reading.
It is likely that capacitor C2 is either shorted or backwards. Lack of a pulldown resistor on the outside of C2 should only be a problem with true bypass switching of this pedal, not in your situation.

Popping is almost always a sudden shift in DC level. When you solve the problem of where the DC is coming from, you will get rid of pops. Go find out why C2 is letting DC out of the buffer.

Here's what is really strange - I tested this in another rig with a DL-4... No pop! 

R.G.

It's possible that there is more than one flaw. It's also possible that there is a bug that is intermittent and "fixed" itself temporarily in the moving it around.
R.G.

scotsman

Quote from: R.G. on November 02, 2006, 08:26:21 AM
It's possible that there is more than one flaw. It's also possible that there is a bug that is intermittent and "fixed" itself temporarily in the moving it around.

I just realized my comment wasn't that clear - I used a different DL-4.  Not my own - and had no pops.  Another thing I noticed also is if I repetedly turn the DL-4 on and off eventually the pop dissipatates.

R.G.

It's possible that neither the buffer nor the DL4 has a working pulldown resistor.

First, put a pulldown resistor on the buffer. See if that makes it stop. The pulldown should be 1M-4.7M and soldered permanently between C2 negative end and ground before any switching. The DL4 could be supplying the switching that makes it pop.

Again, popping is because something is switching between two DC levels. The run-down over time sounds like the C2 cap or some other cap is getting pulled down by multiple switching to ground. You found DC levels, you need to find where they're coming from.
R.G.