Build Report: Yun's Rocket Boost

Started by Barcode80, November 07, 2006, 06:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcode80

well, i wanted to build a one knob something to get my confidence back up, as i only seem to be having luck with one knob pedals right now. i selected Yun's LPB based rocket boost. This thing is so far (i haven't bult a lot of full pedals yet, lots of untested circuits on the desk) the BEST sounding boost I have heard/built so far. Easy to build, great sounding, top notch! I do have a considerable amount of hum/hiss at the top levels, and the thread on putting a resistor somewhere to reduce pedal noise eludes me at the moment, but it sounds great anyway. i am testing it with a black jap tele with tapped hb's, through the pedal then straight into my randall 30w tube combo on clean.

this thing offers clear, transparent boost, and like i said, only gets noisy at the top of the knob. i think i got it up to about 2 o'clock before the noise started. i'll offer sound clips when i have time.

i have it boxed in a plain old aluminum 1590B, but I will be painting and labeling it and putting it on my pedal board asap. pics when i'm done....

Barcode80

here is the working one, "aged" with my dremel. This thing whips ass. Thanks Yun!!!

This one is using the Vero layout posted in my gallery. I'm having some trouble getting it to work, as it seems it is grounding out somewhere.

Renegadrian

I decided to build this one too...I also redrew the layout, I'll post it tomorrow...
I like this booster! While isn't the loudest, gives a good boosted signal, and is worth the little time you'll spend building it...
SO DO IT...NOW!!!  :icon_wink:
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Renegadrian

Renegadrian

I had a try with different trannies here...As other boosters, you can use...

BC10*
BC54*
2N3904
2N5088
2N5089

Altough each of the above slightly differs from the others, I like the sound of the BC108...

Renegadrian

i played a lot this afternoon...I took the RB and put it in front of the crunch channel of a SS cheap practice amp...Took my Strat (copy)...It was INSTANT MALMSTEEN!!! I loved the way it sounds on an already distorted amp...Really nice build, happy to have one...Try this at home!!! :icon_lol:

Barcode80

yeah it is a great little booster. a little too much treble for me sometimes, depending on what i run after it, but the sound of it is GREAT!