News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Zener diodes

Started by zpyder, November 09, 2006, 05:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zpyder

I've got a grab bag of diodes, many unlabeled.  I'd like to find a 9.1v Zener diode in there for a Mosfet Boost but I don't know how to go about finding it.  I have a DMM.

Anyone know a way to test diodes with a DMM to find a 9.1 Zener and/or some common models or common markings that I might be able to find in there?

cheers,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

amz-fx

You could use a 12v zener if you find one of those....

regards, Jack

rogeryu_ph

I 'm interested on the zener diode topic also. Sometime I do salvage some from old circuit but I can not identify which is it. 1n4148 and 1n914 or 1n916 somewhat same with Zener. Same color orange with black stripe! How to identify, test  and to know the voltage, Anyone? Appreciate very much and thanks   

amz-fx

Easy to measure...   connect a 1k resistor from the plus side of a 15v to 20v  power supply to the side of the zener marked with the band.  The other end of the zener goes to the negative side of the power. Use your multimeter to measure the dc voltage across the diode. Use a half-watt resistor...

Two 9v batteries in series will give you 18v which is ideal for sorting the diodes and will not overload the resistor.

regards, Jack

zpyder

Quote from: amz-fx on November 16, 2006, 04:21:55 AM
Easy to measure...   connect a 1k resistor from the plus side of a 15v to 20v  power supply to the side of the zener marked with the band.  The other end of the zener goes to the negative side of the power. Use your multimeter to measure the dc voltage across the diode. Use a half-watt resistor...

And I'm assuming that whatever voltage I measure across the diode is the rating of the diode???? IE if I read 9.1v, then it's a 9.1v?

thanks!
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

zpyder

Quote from: amz-fx on November 16, 2006, 04:21:55 AM

Could this damage diodes that are not Zener???

zpyder

R.G.

Zener diodes are usually specified at about 1ma of current.

However, for sorting purposes, it's fine to just measure them when they break over with a resistor between 1K and 10K on them

Yes, the nominal voltage is probably what you measure.

As a side note, *all* diodes are zener diodes, in that they will all break over at some point. What we call zener diodes are just diodes that are designed to have low breakover points and which have been pre-sorted to have predictable voltages.

The base-emitter of a garden variety NPN transistor makes a dandy zener between 5 and 7V - usually. What you get is like the proverbial box of chocolates.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

rogeryu_ph

R.G. / Amz-fx / Zpyder and to all THANKS A LOT..... :icon_biggrin:

tungngruv

Doesn't some of the runoffgroove projects use a 3mm red LED in place of a Zener? I'm sure I have seen that sub somewhere.

R.G.

Any diode may be considered to be a "zener" when it's used in the forward direction. A silicon diode used forward is a fine 0.5 to 0.6V "zener". You can stack them to get whatever you like. In the same sense, LEDs have a much bigger forward voltage, usually 1.2 to 3.0V depending on color. So they can be used as low voltage "zeners" although you're only getting the forward conduction voltage. No actually reverse breakdown "zenering" is going on.

It's hard to make zeners which break sharply and give good regulation much below 4V. So you often see strings of diodes or LEDs in the forward direction for low voltages.

You don't want to make a 30V regulator out of ten LEDs or 60 silicon diodes, though.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.