Is this what I think it is? Clean Boost?

Started by Bluesgeetar, September 04, 2003, 03:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesgeetar

Sorry I don't want to start controversy like some guy said here about the SHO circuit so I removed the link from my post.  If you got it good for you if you didn't you'll have to get it elsewhere.  I don't want to piss off anymore people around here.  Especially that ZVEX guy.  I'm sure he has a wife and family to feed.  My bad, sorry!

:oops:

Nick

It is  look  like  Z..X  S.O  (in)famous clean boost ;-)

petemoore59

to get the mosfet biased 'right'? This does look like a clean mosboosteer
ckt.

nightingale

hello~
that is the same schemmo that some angry-cat posted on the old forum, saying it was the real deal... z said it was an older circuit known to blow the bs170's... anyrate, a long time ago i emailed the guy, (curious about his description)and he sent me the schemmo... i breadboarded it, and it sounded amazing!!! so i built a perf version, and i've been using it since... i never mentioned anything cause that subject is instant controversy... i dont use it live in the event it does blow the bs170... neverthe less... it sounds real nice!  
hth,
~ryanS
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

RDV

If you're worried about blowing the mosfet then add a 9.1v zener diode to it in the the same place AMZ puts his.

Regards

RDV

Nick

There's  another  schemmo  that  is  exactly  the  same,  except
- pole  of  the  9V batery  is  connected  to  circuit  ground  through  output  stereo  jack, not  the  input  one .
I  use  that circuit  and  it  works  OK ( even  live ).
AMZ  clean  boost  is  very  similar,  but  it  seems  that  it  has
a  little  less  gain  and  sound  is  a  little  bit  smoother.
150n  input  capacitor  is  too  big  because  of  high  input
impedance, I  think  that  even  1n  would  work  OK.

dubs

I've breadboarded one but with true bypass using 3pdt footswitch can't seem to get the pot to control the level. I know one part of the pot goes to ground and the other to to the S of the mosfet yet I get nothing just the boost at max volume. I tried rewiring with the output of the circuit going thru the pot and it does control level but I get slight distortion signal with it.  Should the input  and output be grounded to the gorund of the circuit or the pot?

RDV

QuoteI've breadboarded one but with true bypass using 3pdt footswitch can't seem to get the pot to control the level. I know one part of the pot goes to ground and the other to to the S of the mosfet yet I get nothing just the boost at max volume.
Did you wire the two pins together on the the pot so it will act as a variable resistor? Connect one end to the mosfet and the other to ground and it should work.

Regards

RDV

dubs

Quote from: RDV
QuoteI've breadboarded one but with true bypass using 3pdt footswitch can't seem to get the pot to control the level. I know one part of the pot goes to ground and the other to to the S of the mosfet yet I get nothing just the boost at max volume.
Did you wire the two pins together on the the pot so it will act as a variable resistor? Connect one end to the mosfet and the other to ground and it should work.

Regards

RDV

Thanks RDV
No I haven't, but then there are three pins on the pot, so I use the two outer pins and wire them together?

Rodgre

pin 1 goes to the circuit. pin 2 and three connect together and then to ground.

A potentiometer's value does not change from pin 1 to 3, as that is electrially across the length of the resistive path (which means, if it's a 10K pot, you will always read 10K between pins 1 and 3.)

The wiper (pin 2) is where the "change" happens.

Roger

Joep

if you have maximum boost, the pot is shorted.

Check the wires to the pot.

Hope this helps,

Joep

dubs

Hmm wired as everyone has said but still only max volume.
Have Wired footswitch like this with grounded input:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_ig_dcjack.gif
No signal unless stereo output jack is grounded to the ground of the circuit
Or is it o.k to std wiring like this:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_tb_dcjack.gif

Many thanks to everyone's help -

Rodgre

If your project is not built into a metal enclosure where the jacks are all connected via contact to the metal, to ground, and then that ground connected to the circuit, you MUST wire all components that need to be grounded (input and output jacks, and the batter and the circuit) together.

I'm still feeling like your gain control is not being wired correctly.

if you're facing the BACK of the pot, with the lugs facing down, you would wire the leftmost lug to the circuit.

You would wire the middle lug to the rightmost lug, and then to ground, making sure that all the ground connections connect to the same place. If you're not using a metal box, make sure you wire all the grounds on the jacks to the ground connections on pots, if there are any, to the ground of the power supply to the ground of the circuit.

Roger

and the rightmost

dubs

Hi Rogdre
Yes I have wired as you have said - the board i am using a is a breadboard anyway I have PM you the link to my layout, see what u think
Cheers

dubs

O.k it works - but there is a slight delay when the effect is switched on to the effect coming on - any way to improve this?

Rodgre

Quote from: dubsO.k it works - but there is a slight delay when the effect is switched on to the effect coming on - any way to improve this?

Yes. Leave it on all the time! :)

Mine do the same thing.

Roger

Nick

I  use  2M2 as  a  input  resistor,  but  I  still  hear  a  sligt  pop
when  effect  is  engaged. Any  suggestion  about  resistor  value ? Do  I  have  to  decrease  or  increase  it ?

dubs

try putting a resistor on the the output cap to ground as well.
I've put 1M resistors on both ends and still get slight popping!!