EE electroic engineer designer basics please

Started by markphaser, November 19, 2006, 12:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stm

Quote from: R.G. on November 24, 2006, 12:20:25 AM
Quotei intern doing testing,checking,troubleshooting ... it was internships for school
Cool!

What school and what company was this?

I bet $100 we won't get any traceable answer from this guy.

The pattern is to always ask questions and rephrase new questions when answers and/or advice are provided.  The new questions inexorably show no attempt to comprehend the previous answers and no effort in reading or checking any external link or reference provided.  And crowning the aforementioned, no concrete answers are provided back to direct and simple questions.

In summary, a waste of time and an unpleasant disruption to the otherwise friendly community in this forum.

petemoore

Sorry - I would have waited had I known.
   You got'ta know when to hold 'em...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Oh you want SB EE info...
  We all do our best.
  I can only figure out part of it...
  I can say to figure out what the parts do is a great place to start. Get some parts and try to figure out what they're actually doing for you. Data sheets and seek out component explanation pages...there are some really good ones with pic's 'n texts.
  Not that I don't bend it to find targets, because I'm not an EE and don't do exact maths, but ohms law explains alot of it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Sir H C

Quote from: StephenGiles on November 24, 2006, 02:54:52 AM
Ah, it's an unpaid slave!! :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

We prefer the term "Gimp" (from Pulp Fiction, you must see to really get it).

Works as a verb "I am gimping him to do my busy work"

Noun

"He is a gimp on the project"

Sir H C

Quote from: markphaser on November 23, 2006, 10:17:22 PM
i intern doing testing,checking,troubleshooting from technical write ups from the R&D department of various stuff different products the technical write up tell u what to do and how and where to measure plus with the new digital oscilloscope its even easier. I then intern for school at various jobs in the R&D departments and watched engineer asst. which they prototyped the new product mostly like 10 or more people in the R&D department doing different tasks like buyers,schematic software drawing,software simulations,C++ programmers,a couple of EE math guys to do the analysis of the circuit beyond ohms law, PCB simulation program, trace,routing software programs,i just mostly watched and asked questions and helped out it was internships for school

Your saying its one guy doing all this and i have to disagree with u again there is no way one guy can do all this. If my questions were saying what is a R&D department thats another story but i asked only about PCB design issues and PCB problems

WTF?  I am a designer.  I have done projects where I have done everything but the IC layout (and some where I did parts of that).  PC board?  Me.  Test plan?  Me.  Design?  Me.  R&D department?  WHo are they?

Fleetdog

I realize I'm getting in rather late in the game on this one but possibly I can offer a fresh perspective. 

It seems you're original intent on this post was to find out a few basic things you need to learn in order to design electronics projects better.  It also seems that most of the responses have been along the lines of how to get ahead in your career as an EE. 

I don't work in hardware currently (I do software R&D) but I do have a degree in in Computer Engineering and our courses were mostly the same as the EE's at my school plus some CS stuff.  For me, the keys were always to first understand the parameters of the project.  What does the circuit need to do?  How much room, parts, money, etc. can you use?  Being as specific as possible here is important so you can make a good design the  first time around. 

Next, do a general design.  Break the thing into sections and draw up a nice signal flow block diagram.

Now you can design each piece of the puzzle to do it's job and test them out.  This may be simulations or breadboards or whatever.  The project and the available resources will dictate how you test.

Next, look at the design as a whole.  Are 2 pieces that you designed seperately really going to interact and screw things up?  Once the big picture looks good, mock that sucker up and see if it does it's thing.  Usually, something will not work quite as planned so now you debug (as it was stated earlier, a good design and good testing of parts of the project will minimize headaches here).  When you're done debugging, project complete (or on to version 2.0).

Hopefully that helps a bit.  The key I think is being able to break a circuit into functional parts and to see how those parts interact.  You need to be able to see what the whole circuit does, what each part is doing, and also how individual parts make up filters and gain stages and bias voltage supplies etc.  It's seeing those filters and gain stages and whatnot, that was always the hardest part for me in school.  I could understand the big picture, and I knew what each component would do, but how will a coupling capcitor affect a nearby RC filter? That sort of thing seems to just take time and experience. 

StephenGiles

Interesting phrase - "get ahead". Perhaps someone would like to elaborate.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

Look @ this: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=51789 !!!
(this is a clickable link to another thread,
with a link to an interesting video)

watchit!

(tnx, gez)

R.G.

QuoteI realize I'm getting in rather late in the game on this one but possibly I can offer a fresh perspective. 
You may not want to.

markphaser is a longtime participant in the forum. The problem is that we just can't tell if he's human or not.

Literally. He fails the Turing test as we would apply it through forum messaging. No one is quite sure that he's not some grad student's AI program gone amok. If he's a person, he's either cleverly malicious or sadly disadvantaged.

Do some searching on "walters", "walters9515", "brent" , "brentwalters", "markphaser", and "surfman" in this and other audio, dsp, and microcontroller forums. The prose style is unmistakable.

No amount of explanation ever results in any understanding happening on the other side. No verifiable information about the person on the other side ever gets displayed.

I think that the term "walters" may be destined to become an internet term descriptive of the style, much like "hack" and "troll" have entered the lexicon.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

puretube

puretube

markphaser

Sir HC

What IC layout issues/flaws/problems have u learn or is common?

What PC board issues/flaws/problems have u learn or is common?

What Test plans do u do please??

What jobs has R.G and others work doing R&D or in a R&D department?

Meanderthal

What the hell? This looks an awful lot like an insane thread about Leslies over at HC... Bizarre...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

R.G.

If you're usin' Putin's solution, you'll be needing absolution.

:icon_wink:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Dai H.

markphaser