News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

stereo jack

Started by jlullo, November 20, 2006, 04:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlullo

this may be an insane question, but can someone please clarify in what order these lugs are sleeve, ring, tip?  I originally thought that they were supposed to be one way, but then thought maybe i was wrong and found a link on the beavis audio page that says they go in the order of tip, sleeve, ring.  i'm assuming his is correct, right? for some reason i had the idea it was sleeve, ring, tip.

mdh gave me a way to measure with DMM to tell, but i don't quite understand.  i feel like i should change my name to "Supreme Newbie"  :)

Pushtone

Does your DMM have continuity checker? Of course it does. They all do.

There is usually a setting on the DMM with a speaker icon. That continuity.

Select continuity checker on your DMM.
Touch one probe to one of the lugs.
Touch the other probe to the bits that contact the plug.
If you here a tone you have continuity.

You can also insert a plug into the jack and probe the solder lugs on the plug and the jack.
Inserting a plug will also show you what bits on the jack tough what sections on the plug.

However this is overkill as you can see (with your eyes) which lug is connected to which contact.

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Pushtone

Quote from this link...

http://www.achrnews.com/CDA/Articles/Service_and_Maintenance/31e879923af4b010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____

"Continuity
Continuity is a quick go/no-go resistance test that distinguishes between an open and a closed circuit.

A DMM with a continuity beeper allows you to complete many continuity tests easily and quickly. The meter beeps when it detects a closed circuit, so you don't have to look at the meter as you test. The level of resistance required to trigger the beeper varies from model to model of DMM."
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

JimRayden

This is an open jack. You can see which lug connects to which connector. The one connected to the inner metal part is the sleeve. The one that connects to the shorter connector, is ring and the longest connector is tip. :) Ain't no rocket science, just brain-eye coordination.

---------
Jimbo

littlegreiger

choklitlove

as they said, it's best to use your eyes.  as soon as you memorize an order, companies differ. 

tip is the main connection (tip of the male 1/4" connects to this), sleeve is the ground and what connects to the "sleeve" of the male connector, and ring is the right connection for stereo circuits or where you connect the "-" of the battery for switching (with male stereo connectors, this connects to the "ring" which is between the tip and the sleeve).

plug in 1/4" male connectors to see what i'm talking about.  other than that, use your eyes.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

jlullo

thanks for the clarification guys.  i've been trying the dmm method, it's just driving me nuts, because on my stereo jack, two lugs are making the tip beep.  i don't know why.

also, i keep staring at them trying to figure it out with my eyes and it's driving me nuts trying to decipher which goes to which.

choklitlove

darron

Quote from: Pushtone on November 20, 2006, 04:25:37 PM
Does your DMM have continuity checker? Of course it does. They all do.

mine doesn't :'(

then again, it was $8....

maybe he is more interested in the names  than the actual connections.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

jlullo

choklitlove... thanks it does!

darron, mine does, but unless i'm nuts my tip will beep twice on 2 lugs, and so will my sleeve.  is this because it's wired up?

choklitlove

probably.  just so you know, when you're trying to figure out connections of any switch, jack, etc., never check the continuity with it wired up.  with some, however, you should have something plugged into it to figure it out.  there are many "switch mechanisms" that are possible when something is plugged in.  better yet, check with something plugged in and without.

darron

Quote from: jlullo on November 20, 2006, 11:30:52 PM
choklitlove... thanks it does!

darron, mine does, but unless i'm nuts my tip will beep twice on 2 lugs, and so will my sleeve.  is this because it's wired up?

if there's a mono plug in there, the ring and the sleeve will hook up through the plug, which is why you'd use on as a switch. otherwise, use your eyes to follow exactly where everything goes as choklitlove said. the tip carries the signal.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!