Stoked! Just built a Ross Comp...but need fine tuning help.

Started by Hiwatt25, November 23, 2006, 08:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiwatt25

I just got done wiring up and troubleshooting a Ross compressor (I always seem to have trouble with those dang grounds) but have to admit that I've never owned a compressor before.

This being my first compressor, I'm not sure how to set the internal trimpot.  The tonepad website suggests turning it till just before it starts to clip but it will start to clip in either direction as I approach either the top or bottom end of the pot's travel.  If I turn the pot all the way right, notes will ring for a second and then die.  Same goes for all the way left. 

So which is right? 

And just to make sure it's doing what it's supposed to, does the following description sound right?

• When engaged my guitar's volume seems unaffected by how hard I play
  • My guitar sounds more even...like from string to string, does that make sense?
  • Chords in the lower register sound a little more punchy and not so flabby
  • Takes some of the bite out of my Tele but makes it a bit clearer

I believe that's what a compressor is supposed to do but like I said, I've never owned one before.  That's why I had to build one.  In any event, I like it. 

markm

Yeah,
That's the way it should sound.
Generally, setting the trim somewhere in the middle of the throw is just about right.
I set mine smack dab in the middle of the 2 postions in the throw of the trim where it begins to gate.
The tone of a Tele through a comp is real nice and "throaty" to my ears.....twangy too!
BTW, this question will have alot of responses and methods, do a search as it has been asked here almost weekly!  :icon_smile:

R.G.

JUST SET THE POT IN THE MIDDLE!!! OR REPLACE IT WITH TWO 1k RESISTORS!!

AAAAAAGHHH!!

That pot is a balance control. It is to balance the two inputs so the least amount of the control signal thump comes out the output.

Set it in the middle, and never touch it unless you hear a breathing or thumping as the thing changes gain.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

markm

Quote from: R.G. on November 23, 2006, 09:04:16 PM
JUST SET THE POT IN THE MIDDLE!!! OR REPLACE IT WITH TWO 1k RESISTORS!!

AAAAAAGHHH!!

I knew you'd like this question R.G.  :icon_lol:

stumper1

Set it in the middle and you'll be fine.

Or....turn up the sustain pot all the way then adjust till you hear the MOST noise.
DericĀ®

Hiwatt25

Quote from: R.G. on November 23, 2006, 09:04:16 PM
AAAAAAGHHH!!

Now I've done it, I've upset R.G. on Thanksgiving...just wait and see what I ask on Christmas.  :icon_smile:

But seriously folks, thanks for the replies.  I'm liking the compressor so much I may actually paint the enclosure it goes into.

markm

:icon_lol:
Don't worry 'bout it Hiwatt,
R.G. actually LOVES the Ross trimpot question!