any macintosh users out there? (PCB programs)

Started by sfr, September 14, 2003, 02:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

i use a Mac (powerbook) - just out of preference for how i use my computer and what i use it for, it suits my needs best.  i've been using my roomates PC for doing PCB layout, just cause i never got around to looking for a Mac layout program.  I found one (Osmond, I believe?) and have started poking around with it, but I was wondering if anyone else was a Mac user and had any recommendations for PCB layout?  I'm on OS 9 right now, but once i get the $ together to buy new versions of Photoshop and my recording software, I'll be moving up to X.  (god, I've been saying that for how long now, though?  Those switches and enclosures must be adding up)
sent from my orbital space station.

Peter Snowberg

Hi sfr,

I used to do a lot of layout using "Douglas CAD/CAM" (& Designworks for sim), but lately I've been all PC based because of the options.

Have you considered running a PC emulator and using a PC layout program?  :shock:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

drew

hi-

I am in the process of getting Virtual PC for OSX and running the ExpressPCB program within it, as I would like to try my hand at having boards made by a fabrication house. It is worth noting that under OSX, you can still run your old applications in OS9 just by starting the "classic" mode... but I haven't gotten around to putting OSX on my 400mhz imac (too slow!) so I plan to use the VPC on my friend's computer...

drew
toothpastefordinner.com

aron

Either VPC with a PC program or Osmond should do the job.

Tim Escobedo

I've had success with Osmond.

Plus the price is right.

mike darling

I tried Osmond after reading about it in a thread here a week or so ago. It seems pretty good, but I've had it crash on me several times (OSX 10.2.6, 512mb ram).

I have a registered version of PCBwarrior (search for it at versiontracker.com) and have used it for about a year. It's shareware, but worth registering, IMO. The author is quick to respond to email and open to suggestions for upcoming revisions. It seems to be simpler than Osmond as well, which may or may not work for you.

I also have VPC and Orcad 9.2 installed on my ibook for some schoolwork. It works OK and allows me to get stuff done on the train, but is kind of slow.

aron