Parallel universe...what should it sound like???

Started by greenacarina, November 30, 2006, 11:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenacarina

I just built this thing, and it's passing sound from one jack to the other and some of the knobs make slight differences....but generally this thing doesn't seem to do much. I must have screwed something up! With 5 knobs I should be able to make all kinds of cool noises. Where should I start looking for problems?
Thanks!
Chris

tcobretti

The PU is a few components and 27 pots and switches.  Odds are that you miswired the pots/switches.  I built one, and it has never quite worked right.  However, I haven't spent the time to really troubleshoot it.  It seems pretty cool, but I've had other stuff going on.

Good luck.

greenacarina

Quote from: tcobretti on November 30, 2006, 11:09:45 PM
The PU is a few components and 27 pots and switches.  Odds are that you miswired the pots/switches.  I built one, and it has never quite worked right.  However, I haven't spent the time to really troubleshoot it.  It seems pretty cool, but I've had other stuff going on.

Good luck.

27?!?! I used this layout- http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album17/PARALLEL_UNIVERSE
I figure the worst I could have done is to wire the pots backward (which should only change the direction which one turns the knob, right?)
In probing around the circuit with my audio probe I notice some areas are quieter than others. Should I be measuring voltages?

Chris

tcobretti

I was exaggerating when I said 27.  I built mine with the same layout.  If you are pretty sure you've got the pots/switches wired correctly, then i'd read the "DEBUGGING - What to do when it doesn't work" thread and do what it says.  Then we'll be able help you more effectively.

MikeH

go to http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/ there's a clip on there that will show you what it should sound like.  Yours is definately not working right.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

reverberation66

I built one of these several months ago using that layout and it makes all kinds of crazy sounds.  I would definitely double check the board wiring, jacks, pots, etc.  it's not a subtle effect, if it's working you'll know it. 

greenacarina

OK, on to the "debugging" process. I built this exactly as Dragonfly's layout shows, no parts substitutions except a TPDT stomp switch and LED (which were wired up like this- http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/index.htm )
The only thing that seems to work is the Frequency pot...and it is fairly subtle. I probed around the board with my audio probe and got sound on all "strips" except the ground strip. Some strips sounded like the input signal, others sounded like they were affected by the Freq pot. My battery voltage is 8.41 vdc, my IC voltages were as follows-
1- 4.55 vdc
2- 4.45 vdc
3- 3.80 vdc
4- 4.44 vdc
5- 4.56 vdc
6- 5.58 vdc
7- 5.09 vdc
8- 4.57 vdc

Should I check anything (voltage or otherwise) in particular? I am learning as I go so please bear with me.
Thanks.
Chris

greenacarina

Quote from: MikeH on December 01, 2006, 09:14:21 AM
go to http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/ there's a clip on there that will show you what it should sound like.  Yours is definately not working right.

Thanks for the link Mike! Very cool site, and WAAAAY cool sound clips. Now I'm totally itching to make this thing work right!!!
Chris

Dragonfly

Quote from: greenacarina on December 01, 2006, 03:44:27 PM
OK, on to the "debugging" process. I built this exactly as Dragonfly's layout shows, no parts substitutions except a TPDT stomp switch and LED (which were wired up like this- http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/index.htm )
The only thing that seems to work is the Frequency pot...and it is fairly subtle. I probed around the board with my audio probe and got sound on all "strips" except the ground strip. Some strips sounded like the input signal, others sounded like they were affected by the Freq pot. My battery voltage is 8.41 vdc, my IC voltages were as follows-
1- 4.55 vdc
2- 4.45 vdc
3- 3.80 vdc
4- 4.44 vdc
5- 4.56 vdc
6- 5.58 vdc
7- 5.09 vdc
8- 4.57 vdc

Should I check anything (voltage or otherwise) in particular? I am learning as I go so please bear with me.
Thanks.
Chris

Youve got a ground problem.  Pin 4 should be zero volts, as its connected to ground.

MikeH

Yeah, make sure your ground is hooked up right.  Pin 2 should be 0 volts too.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

greenacarina

EUREKA!! I got confused looking at this thing from the backside and hooked my ground up to the wrong 5K pot! It's about 99% working now...still has some random static sometimes and the threshold of the gate seems too high (ie- I have to hit the guitar strings pretty hard to get sound out the other end). Otherwise this pedal is my first "successful build"!!! Can't wait to get it 100%, paint my box, etc...   ;D ;D ;D

user

Quote from: greenacarina on December 01, 2006, 05:39:32 PM
EUREKA!! I got confused looking at this thing from the backside and hooked my ground up to the wrong 5K pot! It's about 99% working now...still has some random static sometimes and the threshold of the gate seems too high (ie- I have to hit the guitar strings pretty hard to get sound out the other end). Otherwise this pedal is my first "successful build"!!! Can't wait to get it 100%, paint my box, etc...   ;D ;D ;D
Hehe, good luck ;)
And BTW, can anybody debug that gate's high threshold problem? THanks. I think i am going to build this for my next build.Greenacarina? Would you mind posting a sound clip for us? thanks in advance. :D