zw-44/sd-1 more overall volume?

Started by $uperpuma, December 01, 2006, 08:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

$uperpuma

I built the ZW-44 using the pcb layout found here http://www.geocities.com/diygescorp/mxrwylde.pdf . I like the sound of it. Great articulation, etc... but I would like to get a bit more volume... everything is as noted on the layout, except the tone pot is a 25k.  the crunch from the gain is fine but the overall volume is lower than I'd like.  I also have tried both a 4558 and a 072 in there... both sound fine.
thanks in advance
-Nate
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

RaceDriver205

Well, if you have a schematic it would help a bit more, but I would recommend you place a booster on the output. You could permanently set its boost to a setting you liked, and then control the volume with the normal control.

$uperpuma

The only schematic I found didn't look much like what I built... But looks very similar to an SD-1...

RaceDriver205

Well you should just place a booster on the output. I recommend the AMZ Mosfet Boost. It'll fix your problem up fantastic.

Somicide

Quote from: $uperpuma on December 02, 2006, 11:50:37 AM
The only schematic I found didn't look much like what I built... But looks very similar to an SD-1...

IIRC, that's what he used to use primarily, and this circuit is essentially the same with some different Cap/resistor values.  I could be mistaken, though.
Peace 'n Love

lovekraft0

You might try changing R16 to 1K and use a 50K (or larger) pot for R17 - that should get you about 3dB more at the output without changing the response in any major ways.

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

$uperpuma

Wah Wah Jon - sounds great, actually. I put my mosfet boost after it... got a good aggressive clean sound, then kicked this thing on and its a great articulate mid-gain OD. Just needed a lil more. Pinch harmonics are right there... just an overall good sounding circuit.

lovekraft - thank you for the suggestion!