Plug for an amp question

Started by Josemitejam, June 18, 2022, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josemitejam

Hi all!

Quick question: I have this Randall amp that I bought years ago. I'm missing the power plug for it. Can I buy any 3 prong plug that fits it or do I need to specify further than that? Any links would be greatly beneficial.

Thanks!

Joe

stallik

That's an IEC socket (with fuse fitted) so a any IEC plug should fit. My preference with amps is really long cables to save using extension cables but they tend to disappear at the first gig.

Amazon have them
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

antonis

Any IEC 3-wire prog should be OK.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Josemitejam

Rob Strand

Nothing to do with amplifiers:  FYI, there's actually two types of IEC plugs and sockets.   Not so common now, but hot appliances like kettles used "high temperature" IEC sockets.   The kettle has a key which blocks the insertion of the common IEC power cables.

High temp:
https://www.wiretek.com.au/ac-power-leads-iec/iec-c15-keyway-to-mains-plug-high-temp/9910/fl/

Common:

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

Quote from: Josemitejam on June 18, 2022, 04:51:40 PM...Can I buy any 3 prong plug that fits it....

BUY??!

It is the same as almost any desktop PC or monitor. Your PC-hacking friend will give you several.

FWIW, a 1979 Olympia typewriter has the same cord.
  • SUPPORTER

anotherjim

The only concern is any fuse fitted in the wall plug. Depending on your region's electrical rules. Here in the UK with 240v power, the electronic appliance IEC will have a 5A or 3A fuse. A high-power appliance such as a kettle will have a 13A fused plug and an annoyingly short length. However, there's nothing to stop anyone from replacing a 3A fuse with 13A.

Maybe the only reason the wall plug is fused is that the 220-240v supply is lethal and the cable might get ripped or crushed.

The IEC is a great improvement on the old round Bakelite Bulgin 3 pin Marshall and others used in the 1960s.

Rob Strand

QuoteThe IEC is a great improvement on the old round Bakelite Bulgin 3 pin Marshall and others used in the 1960s.
There was also the Cannon /XLR power mains connectors:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannon-XLR-Type-CEA-AXR-LNE-12-3-Way-250Vac-6A-Cable-Connector-MBH007F/391735762192

Never fond of them I had a feeling one day someone would manage to plug mains into an audio device.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

DIY Bass

It has been a while, but I have used gear with the 240v Cannon connectors.  Powered front of house speaker bins from memory.  My memory of the way they are arranged is that there is no way the jack would go into a standard XLR socket, and no way power would transfer unless it was properly inserted.

anotherjim

Well, the BBC used those Cannon AC plugs so they must have been perfect!

davent

Quote from: stallik on June 18, 2022, 05:10:05 PM
That's an IEC socket (with fuse fitted) so a any IEC plug should fit. My preference with amps is really long cables to save using extension cables but they tend to disappear at the first gig.

Amazon have them

I use a long heavy duty outdoor rated cable that i replaced the standard female connector with a Schurter IEC female.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

PRR

Quote from: anotherjim on June 19, 2022, 04:31:38 AM...in the UK .....Maybe the only reason the wall plug is fused is that the 220-240v supply is lethal and the cable might get ripped or crushed.

It's because the UK runs 30/32 Amp ring mains direct to outlets. An appliance cord that could pop a 30A fuse/breaker without setting the carpet on fire is THICK and EXPENSIVE. (I know, I have several, for extreme loads and sources.) OTOH if you can ensure a 3 Amp fuse IN the plug, you can use those IMHO insanely thin cords I see English professors bring from home. They really are fine, as long as nobody uses a larger fuse.

FWIW, the photo shows a 120V amplifier.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: PRR on June 19, 2022, 01:51:08 PM
those IMHO insanely thin cords

3 X 0.5mm2 - 5A current rating.. :icon_cool:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..