HOW DO I MAKE A VARIABLE CAPACITOR ?

Started by alexzanderepair, December 14, 2006, 02:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexzanderepair

HOW DO I MAKE A VARIABLE CAPACITOR ?

rockgardenlove

Use a pot to pan between a large value and a small value.

greenacarina

alexzanderepair

rockgardenlove, sorry if i sound retarded but how do i set up a pot like that. im confused

JimRayden

Quote from: alexzanderepair on December 14, 2006, 03:41:23 AM
rockgardenlove, sorry if i sound retarded but how do i set up a pot like that. im confused

Well, you don't have to pan between caps. As two caps in parallel add up, you can use this method (I remember reading about it somewhere):

Small cap
      -------||---------
     |                  |
-----|        ____      |----
     |       |   V      |
      ---||---\/\/\/\/---
   Large Cap   Pot

---------
Jimbo

mcasey1

Would this be the equivalent of a simple tone stack?

alexzanderepair

JimRayden

Quote from: mcasey1 on December 14, 2006, 03:50:39 AM
Would this be the equivalent of a simple tone stack?

When connected to ground (with some additional components), it works the same as any other tone control. Note that it will not act as a real variable cap. It will not change the frequency of rolloff, it will change the slope as tone circuits usually do.

Quote from: alexzanderepair on December 14, 2006, 03:53:29 AM
DOES THE VALUE OF THE POT MATTER?

YES IT DOES. I'LL RUN SOME SIMULATIONS WHEN I GET HOME AND DECIDE ON IT'S VALUE. IF ANYONE CAN TELL A VALUE FROM THE TOP OF THEIR HEADS, I'D APPRECIATE THAT.

UNLESS YOU HAVE A FAULTY CAPSLOCK, I'D HAVE... ahem... I'd have to ask you to stop writing in capital letters, as it is considered yelling on internet communities. No offense.

----------
Jimbo

The Tone God

We are missing information to give a concise answer. What value range are you looking for ? What type of signal are you attempting to control ?

Andrew

P.S. Please don't use all caps. The shift key is not that hard to use.

alexzanderepair

sorry for the caps thing.
the range is 0.005uf to 0.068uf
trying to control the sweep range on a wah

Ge_Whiz

You can't make a true variable capacitor in the nanofarad range, and the 'pan-pot' idea will not work for what you want to do here, sorry.

zachary vex

i seem to recall something about a beaker of fluid and some plates and wires...

The Tone God

Quote from: zachary vex on December 14, 2006, 04:47:23 AM
i seem to recall something about a beaker of fluid and some plates and wires...

That was just foreplay. :icon_twisted:

Andrew

rockgardenlove

Quote from: JimRayden on December 14, 2006, 03:48:02 AM
Quote from: alexzanderepair on December 14, 2006, 03:41:23 AM

Well, you don't have to pan between caps. As two caps in parallel add up, you can use this method (I remember reading about it somewhere):

Small cap
      -------||---------
     |                  |
-----|        ____      |----
     |       |   V      |
      ---||---\/\/\/\/---
   Large Cap   Pot

---------
Jimbo
That's an option too, probably better than mine.  Both will work though.

bancika

why don't you just use rotary switch with as many positions as you need with different cap connected to each pole. That's usual way of doing variable wah sweep
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: StephenGiles on December 14, 2006, 08:10:55 AM
Why can't just buy one?
welll...... an air cored variable cap in that value range is about 1,500 cubic inches. It's going to be a tight fit, plus not that easy to adjust :icon_smile:
In theory, you could make something cute using a cap synthesised from OTAs, but I'm sure it wouldn't be practical. Go switched.

R.G.

At the risk of confusing things, this is easy, at least in theory.

Method 1: Switched Capacitors
If you put a capacitor in series with a switch and turn the switch on and off very rapidly, then the current that flows through the capacitor depends on the voltage across it when the switch is closed and the proportion of the time the switch is closed. If you run the switch at a high enough frequency, the apparent capacitance looks like the real capacitor times the duty cycle.

So I think that you can do this with a PWM setup and a CMOS switch, possibly a JFET switch.

Of course, you have to pay Mr. Nyquist his due, and make the switching frequency be more than three times the highest frequency in your signal, preferably above the audio range so you can't hear switching artifacts.

Method 2: Capacitor DAC
Make an R-2R ladder out of capacitors. Switch the ladder nodes with CMOS or JFET switches controlled by a binary encoder set up to look like a pot. The effective capcitance then varies in about 1/2% steps, appearing completely smooth to a human.

Method 3: Sythesized capacitor
Set up a synthetic capacitor circuit along the lines of a gyrator, but with capacitors.

There are others but they're much more limited in scope.

For instance, the way I sense water level in the rainwater tanks: drop a loop of insulated wire into the tank, all the way to the bottom. Hook both bare ends together at the top. Stick an electrode in the water. The capacitance between the wire sensor and the electrode is linear with the depth of the water from some non-zero minimum to some maximum when the water covers up all the wire it can. The water acts as a conformal second capacitor plate to the wire through the insulation.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

tungngruv

johngreene

That is only a capacitor when the pot is shorted. Any other setting of the pot results in a RC network, not the same thing as just a 'capacitor' of a different value.

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.