Linear Power Boost

Started by YouAre, December 18, 2006, 03:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the old/new linear powerboost? BYOC has a kit which includes the LPB, and I figure'd I'd by a PCB and build all three boosts on it instead of just the amz mosfet boost like i had planned.

Pros/cons?

Sound description?

Thanks,
Murad

d95err

LPB - a little distortion, but fairly clean
Rangemaster - more like a low-gain overdrive if you have hot pickups. Lots of Germanium mojo...
MOSFET - very transparent, too transparent sometimes.

All three boosters work well for pushing a tube amp into more distortion. For "solo" boost, the MOSFET boost is probably the best choice.

If you are using a solid state amp, the Rangemaster is completely useless.

YouAre

the pickups i'm using are tone anderson h3+/h1- in my les paul (really hot), and GFS mean 90's in my epi hollowbody. those are goin into a fender prosonic.

thanks for your post. I think it'd be a good build. would you say the the LPB could be like a cross between the tone coloring of the rangemaster, and the transparency of the mosfet?

Would any of these sound good boosting a BSIAB II?

d95err

In general boosters work well for boosting overdrives or distortions. It's when you try to boost a clean solid state amp that it usually sounds bad.

The BSIAB is essentially one booster boosting another, but I guess adding yet another booster infront couldn't hurt...   ;)