Mosfet Boost From Dragonfly's Gallery

Started by 96ecss, December 28, 2006, 09:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

96ecss

Hi.

I just built a Mosfet Boost using the layout from Dragonfly's Booster Bar in the Gallery. I didn't have an enclosure for it and I don't have a breadboard yet so I just built it "hanging garden" style. It was my first build on strip board. In the past, I just bought PCB's from GGG. 
So I get it all built and it doesn't work. LED comes on, but no sound at all when it's turned on. Bypass sound is fine. I didn't have a 5K pot for the Gain so I just used a 100K that I had removed from another pedal. I thought that might be the problem. I de-soldered it and tried again. Still no sound.
I figured now would be a good time to build an audio probe. Before I could get started on the audio probe, I took a look at my strip board and noticed the empty transistor socket. I forgot to plug in the BS170. I plugged it in and re-soldered the gain pot and it sounds great.
I learned a valuable lesson from this. Don't take anything for granted. Always check the simple stuff first.   
I'd also like to say a big thank you to Andrew Carrell for posting the layout. 

Dave

petemoore

I learned a valuable lesson from this. Don't take anything for granted. Always check the simple stuff first.
  Bypass switch wired backwards.
  I/O jacks reversed.
  No Battery or PS.
  Volume pot fully CCW. [I sometimes add an ~8% stop R.
  Stuff like that the DMM or Probe can find quickly.
  Empty socket...lol...hyuck hyuck hyuck...not funny before you see it !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Quote from: 96ecss on December 28, 2006, 09:15:59 AM
Hi.

I just built a Mosfet Boost using the layout from Dragonfly's Booster Bar in the Gallery. I didn't have an enclosure for it and I don't have a breadboard yet so I just built it "hanging garden" style. It was my first build on strip board. In the past, I just bought PCB's from GGG. 
So I get it all built and it doesn't work. LED comes on, but no sound at all when it's turned on. Bypass sound is fine. I didn't have a 5K pot for the Gain so I just used a 100K that I had removed from another pedal. I thought that might be the problem. I de-soldered it and tried again. Still no sound.
I figured now would be a good time to build an audio probe. Before I could get started on the audio probe, I took a look at my strip board and noticed the empty transistor socket. I forgot to plug in the BS170. I plugged it in and re-soldered the gain pot and it sounds great.
I'd also like to say a big thank you to Andrew Carrell for posting the layout. 

Dave

:)

I would dare say EVERY one of us has either done the same thing, or something very similar ! :D

AC

Barcode80

i can't count on one hand how many times i've done this in the last month  :icon_redface: how about some build pics when you get it boxed!

JonFrum

I did the same thing in my first build recently. How about the  time an amp build was silent? Eventually, I figured out that the guitar volume pot was turned down.   :icon_redface:

Ben N

Quote from: JonFrum on December 28, 2006, 03:09:44 PM
I did the same thing in my first build recently. How about the  time an amp build was silent? Eventually, I figured out that the guitar volume pot was turned down.   :icon_redface:
It's good when the nding is happy.  When an amp I was working on was silent after a rebias, I finally noticed the speaker was unplugged--and the OT was toast. :'(
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

96ecss

Quote from: Barcode80 on December 28, 2006, 02:24:54 PM
i can't count on one hand how many times i've done this in the last month  :icon_redface: how about some build pics when you get it boxed!

I'll try to get some pics of it and my other 2 builds, a Mini Booster and a BSIAB2. Both great pedals. I'm building an ITS8 from GGG tonight.

Dave

madboy

Hee hee... I was going to start a similar thread today, as I just figured out what was wrong with my prof tweed... I had one little resistor wrong. It was a bit of a "D'oh" moment, but it was great when it worked.
madboy