So I did a bit of digging today... (TUBES inside!)

Started by Cliff Schecht, January 02, 2007, 01:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff Schecht

My dad and I decided to clean out the "other" shed today just...wow.

I'm seriously running out of room to mouse here...

Some of the goodies include NOS 6L6's from Mullard (6L6GC), RCA and Sylvania (all 1970-1971), a multitude of dual triode type tubes including 12AX7's, 12AY7's, 12AT7's (unfortunatly many have had the labeling worn off, so I have to go out in the cold and blow on these things to identify them), all sorts of other tubes that I don't really recognize and even a 5U4 (the tall thing by my left ctrl key). There's also a set of 6V6's in one of the little bags. I've never even heard of some of the brands, but there are a lot of RCA, Sylvania and GE tubes kicking around. My dad picked most of these up at hamfests (ham radio) when I was a kid, I think he was anticipating that I would need these some day  :icon_lol:. We also found a few germanium PNP and NPN transistors, which got me all warm and fuzzy, now I can finally start playing with these fuzz face circuits I read so much about. Plus we found a few MAX1044's (I'm listing what I can remember, we found a whole lot of parts) and some metal can CA3080(a?)'s. I'm calling it quits for the night though.

alextheian-alex

HOLY CR4P!  i wish i had a magical shed like that.  I am always on the lookout for old tubes.  Good find!!

Cliff Schecht

Looks like I posted the same pic twice there...

The first pic was supposed to be this:

birt

nice find :)

i've got a lot of found tubes too but all very uncommon radiostuff. start building amps!
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

MartyMart

I think you found your bassman preamp tubes then ??

What's the big round tube with small brown "stubbs" in it ?  :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Cliff Schecht

They are 6146a's. It's a transmitting tube used in radio. I found some really cool stuff, a lot of nice 12__7's that all sounded better than the cheap Russian version found in my 5 watt Epi Valve Jr. I tried the 12Ay7 and it really lowered the gain, but the amp still got just as loud. I think I found my second tube for my Bassman, the 12AY7 is going in tomorrow. I'm also changing the first tube to an RCA 7025 (12AX7a) that apparently is one of the best sounding tubes out there (Google it, I gpt 3 of em :D). I'll report back tomorrow, hopefully all goes well.

MartyMart

Cliff .... I was pulling your leg .... and asking about your " ash tray " !  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Nice find, I got a bunch of very old Mullard 12AX7's from ebay when there was a real "glut"
of them ... ie : cheap ! ( 15 bucks a piece )
I have one in an Epi VJ and one in my DIY valve amp .... they sound wonderful :D
I dont think that good vintage valves "suffer" from mojo bullshit ... the mojo is there :D

..... inside the glass
MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Cliff Schecht

Yeah, some really do sound better. It isn't mojo, the construction techniques and materials used have a lot to do with the sound , plus the overall quality of design. You can look at a cheap tube compared to a nicer one and see the difference, but it's not something that I can tell right away if it isn't marked.