Author Topic: w/pics Engaged=unaltered clean, pot=no effect  (Read 3698 times)

odway

w/pics Engaged=unaltered clean, pot=no effect
« on: December 20, 2006, 10:31:41 PM »
Howdy!
I'm super stoked that I got this far, thanks so much for this project Aron, it's great! Now I'm up to debugging and was hoping I could get some help.

I followed the schematic as on this site.
DPDT switch with no LED. Wiring was done as on this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=48644.0
One part substitution - the DIP8 IC socket. I used a DIP16 IC socket instead, but cut it the same way.
Am using a 2N5457 tranny, although I have a few others on hand if that's unsuitable.
And I got some help with the wiring :)

When effect is off there's no signal to the amp.
When on, I get an unaltered clean sound. Turning the pot has no effect.

Battery is fresh (tested DMM), leads are connected the right way. I have a DMM but not certain how to use it to debug, and couldn't find the continuity function. I'm guessing there's a short somewhere if the pot isn't working.

Haven't soldered off board components yet, wanted to test first.
Here's pictures:

Sorry camera is a dinosaur and has trouble taking photos in focus, that was the best I could do.
Any help would be much appreciated, was planning to give this to someone tomorrow night (cutting it a bit fine I know!)
Thanks!

aron

Re: w/pics Engaged=unaltered clean, pot=no effect
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 04:15:48 AM »
Looks like you did a great job! Congratulations. I think the problem is that you are using a FET instead of an NPN small signal transistor.

Ask your local store for an equivalent of a 2N3904.

Aron

odway

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 07:00:17 PM »
Changed the tranny and it works! Thanks aron!

aron

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 08:03:09 PM »
Cool. Once I saw your build, I felt you did such a good job it must be something simple.

Really nice work!

Aron