Creamy Dreamer clone on eBay.

Started by brad, January 05, 2007, 08:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan perez

the led in my rebote is SO bright...

(how bright is it?)

i dont know, i cant read the cue cards.

but seriously, its absolutely, no kidding, blinding...so...yeah... :D
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

darron

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on January 06, 2007, 12:49:33 AM
the led in my rebote is SO bright...

(how bright is it?)

i dont know, i cant read the cue cards.

but seriously, its absolutely, no kidding, blinding...so...yeah... :D

don't sell it to anyone like that though :P
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

jonathan perez

never, its my pride and joy, right now...

i should call it that, so when i do sell it, people will think its SRV in a box...

better still!

ill build a tube screamer and call it the TEXAN COFFIN...AKA: SRV IN A BOX!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!  :D

darron

Quote from: JimRayden on January 05, 2007, 10:00:17 PM
Well, cloning a clone is not unethical. It's payback! :icon_lol:

-----------
Jimbo

two wrongs don't necessarily make a right... but lets keep cloning clones and see how many it takes until it does make a right ;)
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

jonathan perez

two wrongs DONT make a right...

three lefts make a right.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!

ulysses

if you are going to remake something. you have to do it better that the original..

yeah, he copied it. i dont really have a problem with that. its a freely available schem that people are not making money from. (apart from ggg)

yeah, he is basically selling a ggg kit. thats not very cool. but hey.

the build quality really is turd. i would personally prefer the blank kit from ggg.

i find it amusing that it has bids. its like going in for a boob job and coming out with an extra tit.

EDIT: i just read his speil.. the worst part is this guy is flat out lying to the customers.

"I’ve been building pedals for myself and friends for years. And when I found one I snatched it up (for a price that still makes my head hurt to think about) and got right to work reverse engineering the old gal."

yeah.. like he reverse engineered it..

"If you use a different distortion pedal or pedals most of the time, the moment you employ the Creamy Dreamer, everybody takes notice."

this certainly is some creamy mojo!

cheers
ulysses

blanik

Quote from: brad on January 05, 2007, 10:31:13 PM
I just can't believe how far the mojo of this pedal has come.  I mean, Billy Corgan has only the slightest connection to it, and it isn't even certain if he used it on anything at all.  He didn't even get it until 1999...and the pumpkins broke up in 2000.

i guess it's in man's nature to be looking for that elusive object that'll resolve all his problems... philosopher's stone, holy grail, billy corgan's bif muff clone....  *sight*   :icon_lol:

R.

brad

My hat's off to the guy for getting bids on that thing though.  Not bad for a beat up looking kit job  ;D
"If You Can't Open It, You Don't Own It"

Dragonfly

Just a "quick look", but it looks like the only change he made was jumpers on the emitters of Q1 and Q3, instead of the normal resistors.

Cant read the cap values though.

AC

i51423

Where exactly is the line drawn for selling clones?

Would it be OK if his clone's board was etched by him or on perf/stripboard?

I'm just curious where the line is drawn.

$uperpuma

I think the overwhelming issues are that no credit whatsoever was given to the designer of the artwork for the PCB, and he is passing off this kit as his own work.  Well within his rights to buy a kit, put it together, and sell it... but its rude to BS people.
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Meanderthal

I can't really find a problem here... The guy bought a kit, built it with Yun mods, now he's got it up for auction starting at what it cost him + a little for his time. If it gets bid up, good for him! The only ambiguous thing is the reverse engineering... but how does anyone know he didn't own one and scratch some goop like he said? Hmmm? The kit is just a convenient pile of parts. It dosen't HAVE to be assembled as per instructions. As far as credit- he BOUGHT it. He didn't download, print and etch it. How much more credit can you give for a PCB layout than to BUY it? He didn't claim to be the designer.

Like I've said before, the general disgust and ridicule directed at anyone who sells a build on ebay(don't hear anyone trashing folks selling their builds through here, do we?) makes me wonder what would happen if I  dared list one of mine... but the more often I see this happen, the less I wonder. Sad. Why is this so predictable?

And in this case, you'd really have to reach pretty hard to find some kind of intellectual property violation. Or have we all pirated our BMP schematics and builds? There's no violation of ebay policies that I can see. And using sales techniques to sell something only makes sense.

No, it ain't me. Why do I have this view? Easy- I put myself in his shoes. Maybe it wouldn't be too much effort to try to give the guy the benefit of the doubt just this once for a change?  Let's try it as an experiment and see where it takes us...? Please?
I am not responsible for your imagination.

slacker

This is what GGG has to say on the matter http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_profit_statement.pdf. Basically once you've bought a PCB off them you can use it how you like for profit.
You might not like it but he's doing nothing wrong.
Like Meanderthal I find the kind of snobbery that this kind of thread normally unleashes a bit unnecessary.

dosmun

Quote from: slacker on January 06, 2007, 10:46:30 AM
This is what GGG has to say on the matter http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_profit_statement.pdf. Basically once you've bought a PCB off them you can use it how you like for profit.
Like Meanderthal I find the kind of snobbery that this kind of thread normally unleashes a bit unnecessary.

+1

markm

I don't disagree at all.
Good for him if he can make some extra coin on the side right?
Afterall, the guy who ends up buying it won't be a DIY guy and will probably be extremely happy with it.
I have a couple of my builds I've been thinking of selling myself. I may go the ebay route, I haven't decided yet.

Mark Hammer

I thought the name was quite clever, actually.  Never overlook a good pun! :icon_biggrin:

blanik

Quote from: markm on January 06, 2007, 10:50:10 AM
I have a couple of my builds I've been thinking of selling myself. I may go the ebay route

if you put them on e-bay be shure to mention NOS, silver solder, 4558D, and that stuff to rub on components to make them sound cleaner...  :icon_wink:

:icon_lol:

markm

Quote from: blanik on January 06, 2007, 01:49:41 PM
Quote from: markm on January 06, 2007, 10:50:10 AM
I have a couple of my builds I've been thinking of selling myself. I may go the ebay route

if you put them on e-bay be shure to mention NOS, silver solder, 4558D, and that stuff to rub on components to make them sound cleaner...  :icon_wink:

"Silver Solder" has to be one of the funniest to me!

wampcat1

Yep-
That's the beauty of working with JD - he has boards for everything and he makes it very easy for a fellow to build a couple of pedals for resale.  If we want to talk about clones, let's point out how many fulldrives are for sale on ebay, or 95% of any other overdrive. :D

bw

wampcat1

Quote from: Meanderthal on January 06, 2007, 10:40:13 AM
I can't really find a problem here... The guy bought a kit, built it with Yun mods, now he's got it up for auction starting at what it cost him + a little for his time. If it gets bid up, good for him! The only ambiguous thing is the reverse engineering... but how does anyone know he didn't own one and scratch some goop like he said? Hmmm? The kit is just a convenient pile of parts. It dosen't HAVE to be assembled as per instructions. As far as credit- he BOUGHT it. He didn't download, print and etch it. How much more credit can you give for a PCB layout than to BUY it? He didn't claim to be the designer.

Like I've said before, the general disgust and ridicule directed at anyone who sells a build on ebay(don't hear anyone trashing folks selling their builds through here, do we?) makes me wonder what would happen if I  dared list one of mine... but the more often I see this happen, the less I wonder. Sad. Why is this so predictable?

And in this case, you'd really have to reach pretty hard to find some kind of intellectual property violation. Or have we all pirated our BMP schematics and builds? There's no violation of ebay policies that I can see. And using sales techniques to sell something only makes sense.

No, it ain't me. Why do I have this view? Easy- I put myself in his shoes. Maybe it wouldn't be too much effort to try to give the guy the benefit of the doubt just this once for a change?  Let's try it as an experiment and see where it takes us...? Please?

I wouldn't worry about it meananderthal -- some folks with the DIY spirit just don't like the fact that another person can make money off of it (I'm not pointing any fingers!  :icon_mrgreen: ), the majority who read through here though are with ya. ;)

bw