Creamy Dreamer clone on eBay.

Started by brad, January 05, 2007, 08:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wampcat1

:)

amz-fx

Quote from: slacker on January 06, 2007, 10:46:30 AM
This is what GGG has to say on the matter http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_profit_statement.pdf. Basically once you've bought a PCB off them you can use it how you like for profit.

I'm of basically the same opinion as JD...  if you buy a pc board from me you can use it any way you want including making a pedal for profit.  I'll even offer a quantity discount if you want a bunch of pc boards.

regards, Jack

ulysses

Quote from: Meanderthal on January 06, 2007, 10:40:13 AM
I can't really find a problem here... The guy bought a kit, built it with Yun mods, now he's got it up for auction starting at what it cost him + a little for his time. If it gets bid up, good for him! The only ambiguous thing is the reverse engineering... but how does anyone know he didn't own one and scratch some goop like he said? Hmmm? The kit is just a convenient pile of parts. It dosen't HAVE to be assembled as per instructions. As far as credit- he BOUGHT it. He didn't download, print and etch it. How much more credit can you give for a PCB layout than to BUY it? He didn't claim to be the designer.

Like I've said before, the general disgust and ridicule directed at anyone who sells a build on ebay(don't hear anyone trashing folks selling their builds through here, do we?) makes me wonder what would happen if I  dared list one of mine... but the more often I see this happen, the less I wonder. Sad. Why is this so predictable?

And in this case, you'd really have to reach pretty hard to find some kind of intellectual property violation. Or have we all pirated our BMP schematics and builds? There's no violation of ebay policies that I can see. And using sales techniques to sell something only makes sense.

No, it ain't me. Why do I have this view? Easy- I put myself in his shoes. Maybe it wouldn't be too much effort to try to give the guy the benefit of the doubt just this once for a change?  Let's try it as an experiment and see where it takes us...? Please?

i think good on him for getting out there and making pedals. putting them on ebay and giving it a go.

but flat out lying to customers and creating a whole bunch of bullshit mojo to sell a poorly built diy pedal is not on in my opinion.

the guy should have been honest and said "its a professional kit from ggg. its a replica of the pedal billy corgan may have used. i spend 10 hours building it. if you like my build, buy it"

i think that problems arrise when pedals like this poor quality example dilute the buyers trust of hand made pedals. ie, in the mind of the buyers if he buys a pedal that has been "reverse engineered from really expensive pedal" and if "nonone pays attention to any other distortion pedal bar this one" and if "this was billys favorite pedal of all time" and then the pedal actually turns out to be shit when it arrives then it dilutes the market with bullshit. the buyer is going to think twice about buying a boutique pedal again.

what if i want to get on ebay and sell one of mine. do i stand a chance of selling it if i dont mojo the speil?

i guess in general i dont like bullshit artists.

[RANT]
i went to a custom guitar store in sydney about 2 years ago. i said i was looking to check out the fulltone ocd (i was naieve and new to boutique pedals). the owner of the store then told me that fulltone were rubbish. he pulled out all the stops to badmouth them. i asked where i could buy them. he told me mike fuller would not sell to him directly and he told me the only place in sydney you can buy them is ******.

so i went to that guitar store and said i was interested in the ocd. after playing with the ocd for a while i asked the store owner which was the best distortion pedal he had ever heard. he said without a doubt it was the ocd. i realised the store owner was a bullshit artist. but i was to caught up in the boutique pedal mojo. i bought it. two weeks later i put it on ebay. it sounded like shit. i didnt "mojo" up the ebay sale. the fulltone mojo sold itself and i got back 90% of the cost price.

i checked out the website of the store that badmouthed fulltone to me recently. fulltone are now on the front page of new products. with things like "the greatest distortion pedal even made" and "once heard never forgotten" and all sorts of other "mojo".

its really sad. shame on both these small store owners.
[/RANT]

if i ever put a pedal I built on ebay. i will be relying on the truth and build quality for sale.

cheers
ulysses

markm

The problem lies in the fact that it's the buyers on ebay that are looking for the mojo.
If you want to sell something "honestly", do it here on our For-Sale page.
Much easier, more friendly, No B/S.
Just guys like you and I.....and some newbies too!  :)

wampcat1

Quote from: ulysses on January 06, 2007, 06:51:29 PM

with all due respect, that's just simply not good marketing. Lieing is one thing, but accentuating the positives is just plain old marketing. If a person thinks marketing is not important, they DEFINATELY don't want to go into the pedal business, or any other business for that matter. That's fine too - the world needs both workers, idea creators, organizers, and a multitude of other personality types to keep everything cohesive.

To be fair though, expecting one to sell without selling the 'mojo' or more realistically getting the customers emotions involved is like believing that mcdonalds should start a new marketing campaign with slogans such as
"not really beef, but the same color!" or selling their food as "food that's been cooked months ago, frozen, shipped here, microwaved, and put on a plate...JUST FOR YOU!".

You see my point. It's marketing, it's business.

:)

bw

brad

Quote from: slacker on January 06, 2007, 10:46:30 AM
You might not like it but he's doing nothing wrong.

I never said there was anything wrong with it at all  :D

I just thought it was funny that this pedal is literally turning into "Corgan in a Box" when he may not have even used one. 
"If You Can't Open It, You Don't Own It"

brad

...and now the auction looks like it was canceled  :icon_eek:
"If You Can't Open It, You Don't Own It"

$uperpuma

So....which one of you was it?!?! ;D
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

wampcat1

ulysses

Quote from: wampcat1 on January 06, 2007, 07:59:36 PM
To be fair though, expecting one to sell without selling the 'mojo' or more realistically getting the customers emotions involved is like believing that mcdonalds should start a new marketing campaign with slogans such as
"not really beef, but the same color!" or selling their food as "food that's been cooked months ago, frozen, shipped here, microwaved, and put on a plate...JUST FOR YOU!".

i disagree.

you can sell your product without lying to the customer. the way i see it, if mcdonalds took this guys type of marketing and applied it to their products we would see adverts like "jamie olivers favorite hamburger cooked by jesus himself, the big mac." or "these french fries were eaten by the queen to cure her cancer".

cheers
ulysses

jonathan perez

so, who else likes throwing themselves over the edge of a cliff?   :icon_mrgreen:
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

$uperpuma

I haven't tried that... sell me on it :)
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

jonathan perez

at the bottom of the cliff is a mountain JRC4558 chips, where the rivers flow with silver solder, and the people smell like potpurri...a land where women dont nag, and the men have jobs that pay well...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

wampcat1

Quote from: ulysses on January 06, 2007, 10:40:31 PM
Quote from: wampcat1 on January 06, 2007, 07:59:36 PM

i disagree.

you can sell your product without lying to the customer. the way i see it, if mcdonalds took this guys type of marketing and applied it to their products we would see adverts like "jamie olivers favorite hamburger cooked by jesus himself, the big mac." or "these french fries were eaten by the queen to cure her cancer".

cheers
ulysses

I can't agree or disagree because I just went to check the auction again (I couldn't remember exactly what the ad copy said), and the listing is now gone.  :icon_lol: :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway, I agree - lying is totally NOT what I'm talking about...I'm just talking about 'hype' or more accurately, selling through emotions rather than intellect. :)
bw

wampcat1

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on January 06, 2007, 11:06:56 PM
at the bottom of the cliff is a mountain JRC4558 chips, where the rivers flow with silver solder, and the people smell like potpurri...a land where women dont nag, and the men have jobs that pay well...

JRC4558 chips...it would depend on the batch...they are all SO different!  :icon_lol:

ulysses

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on January 06, 2007, 10:44:59 PM
so, who else likes throwing themselves over the edge of a cliff?   :icon_mrgreen:

its the most extreme ride of your life, follow in the trail of some kick ass celebritys, it cures all ailments, and your wife will never nag you again after you've done it!! after youve done it you get to meet jimi hendrix, jim morrison, kurt cobain and TWO of the beatles!! who knows, you may even get to jam with them!! all this for $49.95

cheers
ulysses

ulysses

im going to put my pedal on ebay soon "the REAL jimi hendrix experience" it sounds so awesome that it can summon jimi from the dead. with his presence you can play twice as well!! you will be shredding in no time!! only $399USD

then im going to make a second pedal called "mojo blowjob". its so awesome, guess what it feels like when you are playing? thats right, its just like pagey and the groupies all over again!!

cheers
ulysses

markm

Quote from: ulysses on January 06, 2007, 11:24:49 PM
im going to put my pedal on ebay soon "the REAL jimi hendrix experience"

Is there a schem for this anywhere??  :icon_lol:

darron

Quote from: ulysses on January 06, 2007, 11:24:49 PM
then im going to make a second pedal called "mojo blowjob". its so awesome, guess what it feels like when you are playing?

is there a  schematic for THIS anywhere? does it use the standard 1/4" sockets still?
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

ulysses

Quote from: darron on January 06, 2007, 11:37:30 PM
is there a  schematic for THIS anywhere? does it use the standard 1/4" sockets still?

it does use the standard 1/4" sockets as a normal pedal does.

the magic is in using a "special super secret" subharmonic frequency "that we discovered through years of research". the frequency is similar to the"brown note" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note that relaxes your bowles. we then subtract the "special super secret" sound from your guitar input signal similar to a ring modulator (excuse the pun)

cheers
ulysses