Creamy Dreamer clone on eBay.

Started by brad, January 05, 2007, 08:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixr1984

Quote from: ulysses on January 06, 2007, 11:24:49 PM

then im going to make a second pedal called "mojo blowjob". its so awesome, guess what it feels like when you are playing? thats right, its just like pagey and the groupies all over again!!

cheers
ulysses

I think we might need soundclips ;D

Come on you all though it!!!

blanik

Quote from: ulysses on January 06, 2007, 10:40:31 PM
Quote from: wampcat1 on January 06, 2007, 07:59:36 PM
To be fair though, expecting one to sell without selling the 'mojo' or more realistically getting the customers emotions involved is like believing that mcdonalds should start a new marketing campaign with slogans such as
"not really beef, but the same color!" or selling their food as "food that's been cooked months ago, frozen, shipped here, microwaved, and put on a plate...JUST FOR YOU!".

i disagree.

you can sell your product without lying to the customer. the way i see it, if mcdonalds took this guys type of marketing and applied it to their products we would see adverts like "jamie olivers favorite hamburger cooked by jesus himself, the big mac." or "these french fries were eaten by the queen to cure her cancer".

cheers
ulysses

i have to agree with Wampcat1 on this one... i used to work in marketing (Advretisment Agency) for a couple of years and Wamp is totally right on this one... marketing always involve emotions and to some extent, lies... otherwise how would all those companies sell you stuff that, in the end, you don't really need... they have to create the need...

i bet if most of us spent a little less time building a 25th booster or a 12th compressor and just practice more with those we already have, we would get the tone we want....   :icon_wink:
(i'm gonna get flak for this one...  :icon_redface:)

R.

brad

Perhaps a "Stompbox Buyer's Guide to Mojo" would be a good idea to help guitarists make informed decisions?  It could be a simple page of plain english answers to common stompbox mojo myths.
"If You Can't Open It, You Don't Own It"

darron

Quote from: brad on January 07, 2007, 01:50:14 AM
Perhaps a "Stompbox Buyer's Guide" to help guitarists make informed decisions would be a good idea?  It could contain plain english answers to common stompbox mojo myths.

there's a lost connection between the myths and he selling points, that even the manufacturers probably can't define :P
sound's like an interesting idea, but it think that some people are so sick of debating ALMOST trivial techniques that it would sitll only be the author's opinions.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

amz-fx

Perhaps a "Stompbox Buyer's Guide to Mojo" would be a good idea to help guitarists make informed decisions?  It could be a simple page of plain english answers to common stompbox mojo myths.

Seven years old now...

20 Commandments of FX Design:   http://www.muzique.com/editor.htm#cmd

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: -Jack

darron

Quote from: amz-fx on January 07, 2007, 08:58:04 AM

Seven years old now...

20 Commandments of FX Design:   http://www.muzique.com/editor.htm#cmd

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: -Jack

"14. Using plastic enclosures does not mean the device will pick up hum."

can anybody confirm that??? i've found contrary to that but maybe it's in my mind?
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Meanderthal

Just means no guarantee of hum, not that shielding is BS. An expression pedal needs no shielding for instance, because there's no audio signal involved. Some circuits aren't very sensitive to RI, and work fine without shielding. And- if ya shield the plastic it will block RI just fine.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

slacker

seems a bit pointless moaning about someone using mojo to try and sell a creamy dreamer clone when the original is shrouded in so much mojo to start with.

Imagine pedal marketing without mojo.

The all new Sooper expensivo FX Overdriverama
er..  it's well.. basically a TS9 in a nice box. Uses some diodes to sort of clip your signal a bit, doesn't make you sound like that SRV fellow.
Oh yeah it's got true bypass because it's easier to do that than fet switching.

The all new Sooper expensivo FX fuzzarama
It's a fuzzface in a nice box - won't make you sound like Hendrix just makes your guitar sound a bit... well... fuzzy I suppose.
Oh yeah it's got true bypass because it's easier to do that than fet switching.

And before anyone else says it... lounge :)

Meanderthal

I am not responsible for your imagination.

idlechatterbox

QUOTE:
"if i ever put a pedal I built on ebay. i will be relying on the truth and build quality for sale."

Good intentions, and definitely something that we should all aspire to. But probably a tall order just the same

A person who read over one of the threads that are initiated when a newcomer asks a question like, "so... what's the coolest pedal for blues???" could be forgiven for wondering if anyone, including veteran DIYers, is immune to the "mojo" syndrome. Or most any other thread for that matter, including the recent one on pick technique, the famous guitarist who got drunk (?) and incorrectly installed a pickup, or the recurring "tubes vs. SS" debate, concerns about the copying of a book, a PC-board, etc.

That's not to deny that there's shades of gray when it comes to mojo-based claims. But there are shades of gray in ethics as well, and when those shades are combined with shades from subjective impressions about music....  It does seem that stating that a pedal is just like one used by the Smashing Bumpkins, when in truth the only similarity is the voltage rating on the capacitors, is probably going to extremes. To the extent that the eBay seller was guilty of that type of inflated claim, he's probably deserving of some criticism. But who is qualified to offer that criticism rather than another person, and who is positioned to be able to say exactly what infraction was committed, is harder to state. Those are things established by argument, not authority or edict, and such arguments can take many twists and turns (some of them U-turns, others dead-ends).

As someone who, admittedly, hasn't been around this forum for years, it is sometimes interesting to me to see how quickly a question about tone or style will be answered with "heck, who knows? It's all so subjective!" Yet a question about ethics (and sometimes law) will be answered with authoritative-sounding responses, or in general comments that suggest that (a) ethics is so subjective that there's no point to discussing it, or (b) ethics is such a simple matter that there's no point to discussing it (and by the way, who does that latest guy on eBay think he is?!). Truth tends to be messy, where it is present to begin with. One of the nice things about this forum occurs when people present many different approaches to truth, in my view. 

"There is no truth, only interpretation" (F. Nietzsche)

Disclaimer: I am not attacking anyone. I don't sell pedals (home-made or otherwise) on eBay, but have nothing against it. I have nothing against installing pickups (or any other component) backwards either, I don't know the first thing about picking technique (I know it involves a guitar), and I've no idea which effects to use if one wants BB King's mojo. The tubes vs. SS issue I solve by using both early and often, but I won't claim that my rationale is mojo-based or that I do so ethically  :P

Have a great weekend everyone  :)

petemoore

"Sounds almost as good as the other copy I have here"...lol.
  So..It's bound to help the sound of your rig !

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markm

Let's face it fellas,
The DIY'rs or cloners on ebay are just little versions of Robert Keeley.  :icon_lol:

Dragonfly

Honestly...and i'm sure this has been said, but i dont feel like reading the whole thread...i dont see any problems with building and selling clones. Most boutique people do it, JD doesnt mind if people use his boards/kits to do it...it is what it is. Whether or not he actually "reverse engineered it" or not is the only thing thats a bit "wonky". Maybe he did. Maybe he just searched this forum for the mods. Either way, i think that many times people here have issues with auctions like this simply because THEY didnt do it, and THEY didnt make the money from it.

My $.02,
  AC

amz-fx

Quote from: Dragonfly on January 07, 2007, 11:16:13 AM
Whether or not he actually "reverse engineered it" or not is the only thing thats a bit "wonky". Maybe he did. Maybe he just searched this forum for the mods.

As far as I know, I'm the only person who has ever reversed one and posted ANY information about it...  I'm not sure any of the online schematics are accurate (I lost the schematic in a computer crash and haven't taken the pedal apart again to retrace). The epoxy that is totally saturating the circuit board was a royal pain to get off... much tougher than JBWeld.   I made a special industrial solvent blend in my lab at work to soften it and then picked it off slowly.

regards, Jack

R.G.

You know Jack, it would be more helpful if every time the Creamy Dreamer came up in the forum you'd post a schematic rather than just posting the pictures of the boards again.  :icon_biggrin:

For those with fear of epoxy, it is far easier to remove with heat than with aggressive solvents. A stainless steel chisel tip screwed into a cheap soldering iron will remove any epoxy I've run into by softening it with the heat and letting you gently work the epoxy loose with the chisel. I'm sure that there are potting compounds somewhere that this won't work on, but so far I haven't found one.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

markm

Quote from: R.G. on January 07, 2007, 08:10:07 PM
You know Jack, it would be more helpful if every time the Creamy Dreamer came up in the forum you'd post a schematic rather than just posting the pictures of the boards again.  :icon_biggrin:

:icon_wink:

brad

"If You Can't Open It, You Don't Own It"

amz-fx

Quote from: R.G. on January 07, 2007, 08:10:07 PM
You know Jack, it would be more helpful if every time the Creamy Dreamer came up in the forum you'd post a schematic rather than just posting the pictures of the boards again. 

Well, that would require going to my mini-storage to retrieve the pedal, disassembling it again and redoing the trace.... and basically I'm too lazy for that as there is not much interesting in it to make it worth the effort... 

Just for you, here is a closeup picture of the board with the lights off:

regards, Jack  :icon_lol:

MikeH

I think that dude was basically a liar; however, just to play devils advocate, he could have actually reverse engineered it himself and just used a GGG board to build it, after recognizing (or previously knowing) it's just a modified Big Muff anyway.  He still should have given credit for the board though.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

slacker

He doesn't have to give any credit for the board, it's just a component same as all the others used in the pedal. You wouldn't expect him to credit the fact that he used mouser resistors or a Hammond enclosure.
Once you've bought a PCB off GGG you're free to use it how you want, GGG will even let you bulk buy for commercial use. GGG seem happy with this I can't see why other people aren't