Impulse generator

Started by g3rmanium, January 20, 2007, 05:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3rmanium

Hello,

is there an impulse generator circuit somewhere? I'd like to see what happens with impulses on a time basis.

Thanks
Call me Johann.

Meanderthal

I am not responsible for your imagination.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

What do you mean? A pulse generator? A series of pulses?

Sir H C

If you mean a real impulse as used in convolution, not really possible, infinite height no width is hard to do in the field.  Best you can do is a very short pulse often done with logic chips that are used for some real time analyzers.  If you want an insanely fast pulse, then you could do the circuit described by Jim Williams of Linear Tech in their apps notes using an avalance diode to get pulses of under a nanosecond.

g3rmanium

Quote from: Sir H C on January 21, 2007, 11:17:02 AM
If you mean a real impulse as used in convolution, not really possible, infinite height no width is hard to do in the field.

Right, that's one thing that's easier in the digital world.

No, I'm just looking for very short pulses. I'd really like to see what happens with the signal on a time basis.
Call me Johann.

Sir H C

How short.  You could do some really fast ones with race conditions and an XOR gate.  You set the input to be a slower square wave, then have 1 and 4 inverters to the two inputs of an XOR gate (respectively).  The difference in timing for the two paths with give you a really short glitch pulse.  Often you add some parasitic cap to the longer path to slow the whole thing down.  This then can be put into other systems.