New circuit: Atmos

Started by g3rmanium, February 05, 2007, 04:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

Aren' t the diodes not conducting? Because the tops of c3 and C8 are shorted together. So the signal bypasses them.
Am I missing something?

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Darren N

C3 and C8 are in parallel, making the 2.2 pF one unnecessary. Erase it and the schematic should make more sense,

Darren

John Lyons

Looking at the schematic you have a direct short from the .1 cap to the base of the transistor.
Then coming off the cap also are the 2.2pf (seems pretty small!!) >diodes>then .01 then the base of the transistor.
Having the direct connection from.1 to tansistor base is going to cut the caps and diodes out of the signal path isn't it?
Is it possible to have a short and the diodes in parallel and still have any effect from the diodes?

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

brett

Hi
at voltages above the forward voltage of the diodes, the high input impedance of Q2 ensures conduction to ground through the diodes.

Although we don't usually think of it this way, I think that conduction through the wire that bridges them is conceptually the same as conduction *across* the wires they're made from.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Antero

g3rmanium

Quote from: Basicaudio on February 07, 2007, 11:34:44 PM
Having the direct connection from.1 to tansistor base is going to cut the caps and diodes out of the signal path isn't it?

Really, I tried out multiple diodes and they did make obvious differences in volume and distortion characteristics, so I guess no.
Call me Johann.