Your favorite diode clipper?

Started by E-money, February 08, 2007, 07:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-money

Looking through my supplies, I realized I have a decent supply/variety of diodes.
I recently completed a fuzz project based on R.O.G Multi-face where I used 6 position rotary switches to switch between 6 differnet input and output transistors, and I'm thinking of doing something similar with a diode clipping circuit.

Does anybody have any diode clipping circuit suggestions that might be a good starting point to build this project?

Hanglow

I did the same thing with my first build - a GGG TS-808 clone. It was easy as in the mods pdf there was instructions for adding a switch to choose between the normal and aysmetrical diode configurations.  I just put a rotary switch in and did four other combinations, with Ge's, LEDs etc. Now I have a nice selection, with the LEDS going a fair bit louder.

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

WelshWonder

Quote from: MartyMart on February 08, 2007, 08:23:42 PM
Distortion + and TS-9 are good candidates, have a look at this : http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/ScreamerLab/index.htm

:D

That's a great article. Learned loads off that. Thank you very much  :)

Dragonfly

markm

km-r

whats the tone difference between si and ge diodes?
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

petemoore

I'm an OD250 fan
 Something like that or Dist+ is what I use, very similar to the 250, ~different values here....works, is modded...clips.
 But a diode to ground clipper like this, 1 stage of hard clipping demonstrates the differences diode material and configurations have on the sound pretty well.
 The use of 741 'spoils' the clinical-ness of the test because 250 and D+ will both distort with no diodes, when the gain is up the opamp does some distortion, a different sound, on it's own...but this is cool and the diode changes make notable differences.
 A more 'clinical' opamp from say TL series might be another option to consider. See 'Liquid Drive', or just substitue the 'lowly 741' with a higher performance OA in the 250 or D+.
 I like the 'rougher' sound of an LM 741 for D+, 'cleaner' opamp is a different sound.
 I like 'extra hard' clipping, and so I goose the D+ with some type of boost, for LED clipping, having a pre-boost raise voltage output of a D+'s opamp to diodes hit the clipping elements harder may allow hearing 'more' of the LED [and LM741 if that's what's in there].
 TS is good too, but doesn't tend to hit the diodes as hard.
 Hitting 2x BTB diodes with higher voltage starts sounding like BTB diodes do with a lower voltage put to them...ie lower voltage and lower voltage threshold can be made to clip similarly to a higher voltage swing being clipped at a higher clipping threshold, opamps tend exhibit more opamp distortion when providing higher voltage output...depending on the opamp.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Ge's are 'low voltage threshold' about .6v, this equates to lower voltage output, the signal gets clipped harder/earlier, sounds more distorted, less loud.
  2 ge's BTB, are somewhere near the same VT as BTB si's.
  Si's...read data sheets or test with DMM...will have higher threshold which equates to softer clipping, letting more output out/louder.
  these are 'symmetrical clipping' options, BTB Si/Ge is an assymetrical clipping option as is 2 Si's one way, 1 si the other way.
  LED's have even higher VT than Si's, 1.some volts [I don't recall correctly]...and let lotsa signal pass before clamping/will increase output level.
  See AMZ's lab notebook for more clipping options.
  pre and post clipping voicing! [?]

boyersdad

I just recently started using some old 2N404's as clippers. I've just put one into a SD-1, BTB with an Si diode, and really like the sound, but it seems to knock the over all output down. It'd be really usefull if I could put it on one side of a DPDT and have some kind of gain recovery on the other...
I like amps etc.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: Hanglow on February 08, 2007, 07:56:45 PM
I did the same thing with my first build - a GGG TS-808 clone. It was easy as in the mods pdf there was instructions for adding a switch to choose between the normal and aysmetrical diode configurations.  I just put a rotary switch in and did four other combinations, with Ge's, LEDs etc. Now I have a nice selection, with the LEDS going a fair bit louder.

This is precisely what I would recommend! I modded mine with a basic toggle switch to go between n4148s and LEDs, but if I had a rotary switch on hand at the time, I definitely would have gone for it!!! It's an awesome sounding pedal to begin with and multiple clipping options would just make it super versatile

petemoore

A 2 or 3 way diode, switch and offboard swaps so you can try lots and switch right back to...whatever you choose as choices.
  But I used a socket on one side so swaps there are just plug ins.