Germanium Transistors for Fuzz Face

Started by rasco22862, February 16, 2007, 01:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasco22862

Can i use the AC188K? are the same that the AC188?

Thanks

rasco22862

Ok, i just finished. THanks to all. But one last question:

I use two AC188k, and i bias the Q2 collector to -4,6v, but i had to use a 50k trimmer, is this ok=??
Also the sound is not at all "fuzz"

Meanderthal

Yeah, 50k trimpot is fine.  So if not fuzz, what's it doin'? Maybe if ya swap trannys...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

rasco22862

I mean the sound is very "bassy", and to get a fuzz distortion i have to put the 500k pot to the middle, the "fuzz" pot to max and turn mi guitar volume to max. That sound doesnt sound like a fuzz face.

Just for be sure, has anyone any clip, to listen a REALLY-TRUE fuzz face?

Thanks

Meanderthal

Heh... ummm.... the way they're usually used is with the fuzz all the way up. Then you decide how much fuzz you want with your volume knob. It's SUPPOSED to clean up with your volume knob. And, it's a bit dark(bassy).
Sounds like you got yerself a fully functional FF that's doing what it's supposed to. Congrads!

rasco22862

jjaj, thanks. But im a bit confused still, do you have a sound clip??

Meanderthal

Me? No. There are some around(try a search)... But each FF sounds a little different because of the nature of Ge transistors, and each guitar and amp sound different too, so clips only tell you in general terms what to expect.
It will NOT make you sound like Jimi. But he certainly used em. Most of his songs that had fuzz and were not octavia could be considered 'clips'.  Early Gilmore(Pink Floyd) also. But you won't sound like Gilmore either.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of sound are you looking for? Sometimes people's mental image of what they suppose an effect should sound like is a bit different than reality. Alot of the time, folks overlook technique too. For instance- If ya want Guess Who American Woman(sorta), use your neck pickup and turn your tone knob all the way down, then use a FF... just an example...

Meanderthal

Yeah, that sounds like a decent FF on a strat, except in person you'll hear a bit more fizz than that usually. Notice how the guy can go from clean to dirty just by adjusting his volume knob(he's doin' that).

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

rasco22862

OK, im such an idiot :D. I had the boost channel on on the amp. Thats because the fuzz face sound too dark, and bassy. Now its great. Thanks to all :icon_mrgreen:

marlin

Quote from: mac on February 22, 2007, 11:16:41 PM
best sound sample I heard:

http://www.mikepiera.com/samples/GregV_SunFace_Jam1.mp3

see www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm for more

mac

The GregV sample gives me shivers, best sample I've ever heard .... too bad i can't pla like that  :icon_confused:

mac

The GregV sample gives me shivers, best sample I've ever heard .... too bad i can't pla like that  :icon_confused:

Some say it takes years to get used to a FF. Others that it takes years of practice until your fingers bleed. And some say that you really need to study music. All true and of course helps a lot, ... but there is something in your blood, some mojo that you have in your heart or not...

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84