Muff Fuzz + bblender sounds really thin and distorted. Help??

Started by thefruitgnome, June 13, 2014, 05:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefruitgnome

I built a muff fuzz a while ago and was really pleased with how it sounded. Today I decided to try and add a blend circuit to mix in some of my dry guitar signal. Both circuits work fine on their own but when connected together the muff fuzz sounds really thin and has a really high gain distortion sound. It's really bugging me, I thought it would be an easy thing to do. I've connected the muff fuzz in the effects loop of the bblender.

Anyone know what's going on? I have the bblender on breadboard so if anyone has any ideas I could try please let me know and I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers!  :)

petey twofinger

when you liked the sound from the muff fuzz , was it directly connected to the guitar ? some circuits sound best when the only or first thing they "see" is the instruments pick up .

i use an amz pick up sim often for this , but ... also you could look into how its done on the bazz fuss and others .

i suppose you could try the guitar straight into the muff then add a buffered pedal ( boss / digitech ) with the unit bypassed before the muff fuzz , . does it sound awful ? this would be how i would check this theory .

good luck .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

thefruitgnome

Quote from: petey twofinger on June 13, 2014, 05:45:32 PM
i suppose you could try the guitar straight into the muff then add a buffered pedal ( boss / digitech ) with the unit bypassed before the muff fuzz , . does it sound awful ? this would be how i would check this theory .

Haha yes! I can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks for the quick reply :) I used a klon buffer I built to test it out. I guess if I built another buffer for the dry signal and used a blend pot like this

that would work right?

mth5044

I'm about confused about your second post. Why are you trying to build more buffers again?

You can stick with the original blend schematic, but stuck the AMZ pickup sim between the SND and the input of the Muff Fuzz.

thefruitgnome

Well I was thinking instead of using the bblender circuit I could use two buffers, one for the dry signal and the other for the output off the fuzz then use a blend pot to fade between the two. I have all the parts to make another buffer but I dont have the transformer for the pickup sim you suggested. Although that is pretty cool idea, might have a go at winding a transformer for one in the future. Also by doing it this way instead of using a buffer for the dry signal I could use a clean boost circuit to amplify the dry signal to a similar level as the fuzz puts out should you want it that loud.