Meatball / McMeat Layouts with on-board switches

Started by Shed_FX, February 17, 2007, 09:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidlook

The last one you posted seems to be exactly the way I wired the sense and blend, although I put a 4k7 resistor before the middle lug of the pot, since it says to do so in the schematic.

aidlook

Ok after fiddling around a bit with all the controls it seems I might have some problem with the switches.
On the sweep switch the up/down is on position 2&3 I can live with this but it's a bit annoying.
The range switch seems to be working properly.
The bandwidth switch seems to work in position 2&3, not much of a difference though, in position 1&4 I get no sweep only wierd filtered sound.
The mode switch is hard to tell if there's much of a difference, but the problem is I get sweep in all positions and I presume there's not supposed to be any sweeping in the off position.

Shed_FX

Right I have looked through the wiring of the two switches that you have said that you have problems with and the wiring looks all correct. Have you checked that all of the jumpers are in the correct position and that the flying leads are all connected to where they should be. If this is all correct take a look at the soldered side of the board and check that there are no un-wanted connections from solder slippages by running a scalpel or sharp knife in between the traces.
The only other thing I can see that was changed is that the position of R2 from the pisotones schematic was moved slightly so to make way for the jumper. That resistor can be put in up on one end to get the connectors nice and close together.

If you have used alpha rotary switches there is a tab washer in the top of the switch which means that you can adjust the end stop of the switch to your exact requirements so that it only moves 1,2, or three positions. Playing about with this should sort out the Sweep switch positions.

Let me know how you get on.

Shed_FX

Great welldone! It would be great to see some photos of it posted on this or the Pictures thread. Also If you haven't started adding decoration to the box the font for the Lovetone Pedals is called Daytona and if you want any detailed pictures of the Meatball that I have collected. Please let me know.

All the best

Tom

andrew_k

So we can consider this PCB layout verified? I ask because there's some interest in getting PCBs made ;D

Shed_FX

Hi Andrew,
I would like aidlook to post or PM me with any last changes or comments to the original layout. I will then implement those changes and modify the layout slightly to improve the separation of some of the traces and then post a final layout for people to play about with. Keep watching the forum as I hope we can get a final version issued this week or next.

All the best

Tom

andrew_k

aidlook

Ok as I said, the last version Shed FX posted seems to be exactly how I ended up wiring the pots, and my switches seem to be working now, but I can't say I'm a 100% since I've never really been shure what every switch is supposed to do exactly, and I've never had my hands on an original. However the sounds I'm getting seems to be a pretty close match to those on the lovetone website so there can't really be any major flaws. As I was building I checked every component with the layout in the project file as well as the schematic and the pisotones website. Bear in mind though that I'm really a beginner and I think if you're getting some of these made you should really build a prototype yourself and make shure. Separation on some of the thinner traces would be great as well as making them a bit wider perhaps, they had some minor issues after the etching but it was quite easily fixed, again I etched my first pcb about a week prior to this one so someone with more experience could probably do a great job with these. Another issue I had was that once I had scaled the print so that the switches (alpha brand rotary)  could all mount to the pcb the holes for the IC's where still out of scale, so those could do some re-working.

I will post pictures as soon as I've made the enclosure and I'll then get some sound samples done as well.

aidlook

humboldt

Im starting to wire up my mcmeat and was looking at your circuit for reference. It looks like you have the sens pot attach to the "send' point on the mcmeat layout. Shouldnt that point be used for the effect loop? Or perhaps I should attach both the sens pot and the send of the effect loop to this point?

MRX2099

Hi been reading thru the lovetone threads here a while now, so which board is "good to go" so to speak to use for the Meatball what is the size in "inches"? I tried the one in this thread (the wiki site seems down now) and made it 184mm which equals to 7 inches that is way too  big correct?

TKs
Jeff

Shed_FX

Hi,
Sorry I haven't had time to get this sorted. I need to make some mods to the layout as per aidlook's comments. I have just measured the board I built it on and it measures:
170mm x 100mm. This was scaled so that the parts were a reasonable fit. I believe that the with standard alpha switches it is a bit of a squeeze and I bent the legs in slightly to get them to fit.
I need to look at the layout that was last posted and the comments made and then I can post a final one. I built mine as the first prototype and had the switch and pot positions the wrong way round. Bear with me and I will try and get it sorted. Be warned that the "final" layout that I post may not be 100% and you may need to tweak things here and there. It does however make the wiring a hell of a lot easier.
I believe that someone was talking about doing a layout based upon that of the Meatball, like the one which was drawing for the string ringer.
Hopefully should get something sorted tonight.

Shed

Shed_FX

Right just gone through it checked the connections out, modifed the layout to make the traces thicker and easier to etch. Scale the drawing up by printing it out a few timesand placing components in the correct positions. The layout for the core of the effect is as before and as per pisotones layout. The jumpers are shown all in the last diagram which was last posted. I haven't got time to do a project file for this. If someone wants to please feel free. I would recommend that you thoroughly read all of the posts on this thread before etching anything!
I should be able to help with any debugging that is needed. But won't always be able to post up stuff as quickly as tonight!
Have fun

PS any mods you may need to make to the layout can be done in Paint! Thats what it was drawn in because I am a hack!
All the best

Shed

sethyboy85

anybody ever build the final layout?

Looking for feedback before I make the PCB or attempt it.

ringworm

Is there a version of this layout with the parts laid out as well?
I can see that it's like Joep's layout on it's side but I can't find any working links to the 1.1 version of that pdf (I only have the 1.0 version).
Hope someone can help.

deaconque

Quote from: ringworm on March 01, 2009, 05:49:03 AM
Is there a version of this layout with the parts laid out as well?
I can see that it's like Joep's layout on it's side but I can't find any working links to the 1.1 version of that pdf (I only have the 1.0 version).
Hope someone can help.

I'd like to know as well

Strategy

Thread restart. Is this layout verified? i did the original Joep layout and the wiring is scary. No clue yet if the build will work out. It would be amazing for future McMeat builders to know whether the layout in this thread is confirmed.

- Strategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

chicago_mike

Im going to try this one out. The McMeat is a wire nightmare. I just wonder what size enclosure we'll need.