Some Possible mods for Behringer DD100 Digital delay pedal

Started by Elektrojänis, February 19, 2007, 05:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elektrojänis

I lifted the pin 2 of the V1000 from the circuit board to test my theory.

It works. Measuring the voltages on pins 5-8 and by listening it probably gave me mode 12 (1100 binary) early reflection. It actually sounds quite nice (to my ears anyway) even though it works at half of the sampling rate the algorithm was probably originally written for.

As I quessed, it gives me wet signal only. No dry mixed in. Not very usefull for the usual guitar stuff, but I think I will have some uses for it... And I'm probably going to build a separate "clean blend box" for some other stuff anyway, so I can use that for for the modded dd100.

Now I only have to find a good place for my dip swiches.

Elektrojänis

I pulled up some more pins, and noticed that I got the "bit order" of the program select pins wrong... The first pach I was playing with was actually number 3 (0011 binary). And after that I noticed something on the pach list on the datasheet: Prog[3:0]

I quess that means that the pin prog3 is the MSB and prog0 is LSB.

No wonder the patch sounded huge for early reflections only. :)

Elektrojänis

Now the mod is finished and I took some pictures. I'll try to upload them some day next week when I have time to pick the good ones and resize them to be more web friendly.

I'll try to record some soundsamples too, but I probably don't have time to do that before next weekend.

Elektrojänis

Elektrojänis

It took a while, but here are some soundsamples: http://koti.welho.com/pjunno/temp/behringer_dd100_mod/mp3/

Each file has the same licks three times. First there is dry only, then wet only and then a mix of both. Wet

only is what I get from the pedal. None of the controls of the pedal work for the internal patches of the V1000

chip (even the wet/dry control is digital). This was something I actually expected.

The soundsamples were recorded with a setup like this:

/--------------Soundcard(input3)
Guitar---Booster<
                 \          /---Soundcard(input2)
                  \---DD100<
                            \---Soundcard(input1)

Guitar is Charvel by Jackson... I'm not sure of the model... It's a strat style thing with S/S/H -pickup config. I used the humbucker in the bridge for these.

Booster is just a simple one fet thing. Probably not totally clean. I used it to split signal (it has two inputs) and to make sure the souncard will not load down the pickup.

I recorded the DD100 stereo (it has two outputs) and the dry sound mono on separate tracks on the software (Kristal Audio Engine).

The mix between dry and wet on the last parts of the clips is just something I felt appropriate. As they are meant to demonstrate the sounds, the mix is quite much on the wet side.