Neovibe vs Easy vibe pics and clips inside

Started by John Lyons, February 21, 2007, 10:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrc4558

Quote from: John Lyons on February 21, 2007, 10:01:46 PM
Member Tungngruv made the Easyvibe perfboarded here

If you haven't tried it yet, put heatshrink tubing around the LED-LDR combos. The sweep will become MUCH wider!

jrc4558

Reason being that ambient illumination, however minimal, may still affect the resistance of the individual LDRs...

John Lyons

Thanks for the tip.
I actually do have heat shrink and an end cap on the LED/LDR combos for the sound clips posted above.
The pics were the initiall build before totally finishing it up.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

nico13

John,

When you shielded your LED/LDR combos did you keep them in the same position?

jrc4558

Quote from: John Lyons on May 15, 2007, 11:30:27 AM
Thanks for the tip.
I actually do have heat shrink and an end cap on the LED/LDR combos for the sound clips posted above.
The pics were the initiall build before totally finishing it up.
John
I learned the hard way. The two LEDs that bias the circuit were giving off too much light to make the 'dark' resistance reach its point... So I had to 'light-proof' them. :)
I am planning to do some mods to mine. Already have a volume boost and a dry-wet mix. Thinking about what else to do to it.

nico13

Constantin,

Actually you have only shielded the bias LED , not the LFO LED. Right?

tungngruv

QuoteJohn,

When you shielded your LED/LDR combos did you keep them in the same position?

When I built the above easyvibe, I took the picture before I wrapped each led/ldr in electrical tape. Didn't make a big difference in the sway of the vibe. I guess because the inside of the enclosure was dark enough. I have a neovibe now and it sounds a lot different (IMO) than the easy vibe, although both units sound really good in their own way.

John Lyons

Yes, the LDR/LED combo looks the same in the pic above as it does now. Same position...just has black tape around a drinking straw slid over them and a cap piece over the top. (tony came up with the drinking staw light shield while on a date with his wife...)
who says romance is dead?

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

nico13

nico13

Tunggngruv,

QuoteI have a neovibe now and it sounds a lot different (IMO) than the easy vibe, although both units sound really good in their own way.

Could you be more precise because according to me listening to the samples there's not a big difference (especially on the Trower's Too rolling stoned riff) except the deeper sweep on the neovibe of course.

John Lyons

Read the thread again. All of this is gone over in the first few pages.
The neoviobe has a deeper sweep with a more pronenced vowel like sound. Not unlike a wah.
John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

nico13

Yes I know John.
I just wanted to say that according to me the easyvibe doesn't sound "a lot different than the neovibe" (which sound is more organic). I mean the easyvibe has a good vibey sound even so.

tungngruv

The easyvibe does have a good "vibey" sound but not as much as the Neovibe. IMO, it really nails the Hendrix and Trower thing. I've had both and when you hear them live, the Neo is the one, although the easyvibe has a great sound, just not the amount of sway and vowel quality (as John stated earlier). Keep in mind this is just my opinion though.....

RaceDriver205

alex frias

I've tried a number of dual opamps on Easyvibe and found the best combination, to my taste at least, is formed by a 4558 as the first and last CI's, TL062 as the second and the third CI's. I've changed the input cap too, I've used 1uF, poliester, NP.
I've included one more cap, .47uF, between the output of phased signal and the final mix.
I perceived a bassier sound and liked this way. I soon will post some sound clips, hoping it's not one more mojo factor question...
Pagan and happy!

krhnyc

Hi,

Brand new to the site, was directed here by Steve from Small Bear. I am looking to tackle both of these projects and have a question about parts availability. What LDR's do you use for these units? Are they the same or does each circuit require a specific LDR? Can someone please send me p/n's?

Great sounding units. I noticed in the pics that the EasyVibe build did not employ the heatshrink to isolate the light source. Is it possible that this is affecting that depth of that unit?

Thanks for all of your help,

Kristopher
'61 Strat, '56 Tele, other Strats and Teles, 335, tube amps, '68 Vox Wah, '76 Phase 90, '82 CE-2, '83 CE-2, '83 CE-3, Gray Box SCH-1, '89 DC-2, '80's DOD 280 & FX-80, '80's Vesta Fire Chorus, 18V Cool Cat, Home Built Green Ringer & EasyVibe, '92 SD-2, etc

snoof

Small Bear has the LDR's you need, and in the descriptions of the LDR's on his website he recommends which ones to use for which crkt.

John Lyons

The LDR/LED combos on the easyvibe did use a light shield and heat or heat shrink on them, The pic was taken before this step.
The sound clips (in the first post) were made with fully light shielded LDR/LEDs.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

soggybag

Great sound samples. Good work.

I built an Easyvibe a few years ago. It sounds great. I have wanted to tackle the Neovibe but it's a step up in complexity.

As far as the Easyvibe is concerned I have always wondered about the Biasing. The bias used here seems sort of complex and touchy. Why was this designed like this? I'm talking about the two LEDs setting Vr.

Why could this not be biased in a standard way with a resistor replacing the two LEDs?

Another item that I do not understand is the purpose of the four 1n914 diodes? what are these doing?

slacker

Quote from: soggybag on September 18, 2007, 02:41:54 PM
As far as the Easyvibe is concerned I have always wondered about the Biasing. The bias used here seems sort of complex and touchy. Why was this designed like this? I'm talking about the two LEDs setting Vr.

The biasing is done like that so that the bias voltage stays constant as the battery voltage falls, if you did it using a voltage divider the bias voltage would fall as the battery voltage fell. I think this is so the performance of the LFO remains the same at different voltages.

Another item that I do not understand is the purpose of the four 1n914 diodes? what are these doing?

I've never really understood what they do either. I think they'll clip the LFO signal if it goes more than 1.2 volts above or below the bias voltage. The LFO signal is triangular so I guess clipping the top and bottom off the waveform makes it more like a sinewave?