Boss DD-3 - can anyone here help me?

Started by Hobsy, February 27, 2007, 05:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobsy

Hi. I posted a message on the Boss Area forum last week about a broken Boss dd-3, and one of the guys on there said someone here might be able to help me out.

When I plug the pedal in, I get a dry signal through the output. If I am in the S, M, or L modes, that's all I get. I press the switch, and nothing happens.
If I am in hold mode, the LED comes on, and stays on even if I press the footswitch. Also, as well as the dry signal, I get a tone (sounds like a sine wave) on top of it, and turning the D.Time pot changes the pitch of this tone.

After running the pedal for a few minutes, IC9, the BA634 toggle flip flop and the surrounding area feel warm.

When I opened it, I found that D6 was loose. I soldered it back in, and no luck. After a bit of searching I found that D6 is for regulating the input voltage and has a tendancy to short out, which causes overheating and the componant to desolder itself. I figured this is what happened, and since I've also read that the pedal will function without it, I removed the componant completely.

I think the BA634 may be faulty, since the problem seems to be with the switching (although I don't see how that could relate to the tone I'm getting in the HOLD mode) and the componant is getting hot. The problem is that the only website I've found that sells them is in Ireland and charge €12.70 for shipping and have a minimum order of €12.50. Does anyone know of any suitable substitute I could uset?

geertjacobs

if you do a forum search on ba634 you'll find a post on my attempts to get a BA634.
I managed to get hold of one but it didn't solve the issue in the dd-2 i was working on. (it solved it only for a while)

If the problem really is the BA634,  it's a flipflop that you can emulate using different parts, it's probably not easy to fit a small piece of perf with the replacement part(s) in, but it can be an alternative solution.

Have you tested the table with the switching possibilities on the dd-2 schematic of freeinfosociety?

I had the exact same problem, but the pcb was also cracked horizontally...
Never managed to solve it...